Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Media news

+8
JPB18
Darkjedi
Earthdeath
Darkwing
Insane Crayon
Shemuel
Evil Person
Thingy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Media news Empty Media news

Post by Thingy 2010-03-02, 02:04

Flashtrek Media news service, sponsored by Thingyos, the only cereal for true BEEEEFCAAAKEEEES (Cookie for reference). Now with 80% more steak!

So, let's start with some news from the only place in the industrialized world where the dark ages still reign. Australia!

A recent news report on Australian channel ten has caused a lot of controversy in the gaming world, and amongst people with simple common frakking sense. The report stated that ''The connection between gaming and youth violence is greater than the connection between smoking and lung cancer'' and went on to say that ''The explosion in youth crimes is inextricably linked to violent video games''.

The organization for global use of common sence (OFGUC) has urged Australian citizens with even a small hint of common sense to evacuate the country, as it has been places on the top of the list for countries most likely to create a small intelligence black hole capable of sucking the entire continent into non existence.

Now, i hate to keep beating this alredy pulverized dead horse, but i feel this has to be said. This whole thing is completely retarded. Games are being banned for having a little bit of gore or some sideboob here and there. They dont get an 18+ rating, they get banned. And why? Because the parents are too fat and lazy to keep an eye on what their kids are playing! I mean, how hard can it be? Look at the age rating on the game's case. If it's more than your kid's age, dont buy the frakking game! It's that simple! But no, they have to get Michael Atkinson to keep their children safe, because they're clearly too busy being idiots to keep an eye on their kids.

Now excuse me, i have to go run over the elderly and prostitutes with the car i stole from that family i killed with my bare hands. Just like GTA taught me to.

Original article and news report: http://gamers-underground.com/content/387-gaming-causes-more-harm-than-smoking.html

Last edited by Thingy on 2010-06-17, 16:58; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Upped status to yellow)
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Media news Empty Re: Media news

Post by Thingy 2010-03-02, 02:07

Oh, by the way. How many here are gamers? And how do you think one becomes a gamer?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Person 2010-03-02, 09:36

I am deffinetly a gamer, and i think one becomes a gamer by playing games for a living, and/or spending there day on multiple sites talking about games and/or playing RPG's untill they can use the consol games and computer that actually runs games.
Evil Person
Evil Person
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1176
Location : Space (The Final Fronteer, These are the voyages....)
Registration date : 2009-06-28

http://starwarsuc.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-02, 14:52

To answer my own question, i'm a gamer. All one needs to do to become a gamer is to play a proper (none of that shovelware crap on the Wii) game every once in a while. But there are different degrees of gaming, playing a game every once in a while would only make you a casual gamer. Hardcore gamers are the ones that know some gaming history, a few gaming terms, play games quite often and know what's going on in the gaming world.

I think i'm a step below hardcore gamer, since i havent read up on my gaming history (probably because unlike most hardcore gamers, i was born in the 90's).
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Person 2010-03-02, 23:13

90's here to, but i am hard core, i know the history of the Atari, and the Nintendo, I still have the atari and play it every once in a wile, i also have a nintendo, super nintendo, and a nintendo 64, and everything after that to a playstation 2
Evil Person
Evil Person
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1176
Location : Space (The Final Fronteer, These are the voyages....)
Registration date : 2009-06-28

http://starwarsuc.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-05, 01:55

Good. Fuck*ng. God.
That's a direct qoute of a few people on the escapist. And it's all i can say about this news story...

A south korean couple (identified as the ''Kims'' due to korean privacy laws) left their real, 3 months old daughter to die due of malnutrition in favor of taking care of a virtual child on the MMOG ''PRIUS''.

The 41 year old man and his 25 year old wife (am i the only one seeing something slightly strange with the age difference...?) spent up to 12 hours a night at 24 hour internet café's playing games despite having a prematurely born baby at home. The 25 year old woman went to these cafés when she was pregnant despite the clouds of cigarette smoke and large crowds of gamers korean internet cafés are known for. The couple have also confessed to feeding the baby rotten milk powder and often spanking it when it cried.

The couple found the child dead after coming home from a 12 hour gaming session in late september.

In a sick bit of irony, the parents were taking care of a virtual child on the MMO Prius at the time of the real child's death.

South korea has had major issues with gaming addiction, with several cases of exhaustion death, and other gaming related deaths. The problem is believed to be in no small part due to South Korea's 95% broadband acces.

The death of the 3 months old child will msot likely be used by people like Michael atkinson and Jack Thompson, who both are strongly against gaming. It could mean a major setback for the proposed 18+ rating in Australia. which has been strongly opposed by Michael Atkinson.

This is by the way an extreme example of gaming addiction. Gaming related deaths are very rare, even in south korea.

Original Article: http://gamepolitics.com/2010/03/04/korean-parents-neglect-real-child-virtual-one
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-06, 16:55

An incredibly dedicated fan of the show Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha has married a body pillow with the image of Fate Testarossa, a popular character from the show, printed on it. He has also been... *sigh* taking the pillow out on dates... And i would rather not think about what he does after the date. Or how their *huge sigh* honeymoon... is going to be like...

This is a request for everyone living in asia. Can you please, oh please stop humping everything that doesnt move? Pretty please with cherry on top? Just... Stop. Ok?

Here's a link to the rest of the story and some images, if your faith in humanity hasnt been completely crushed yet. The other side of that link is very NSFW, so do not click it if you're sensitive, at work, school or a parent is nearby.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/05/korean-otaku-marries-fate-testarossa-dakimakura/

Last edited by Thingy on 2010-03-06, 19:01; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Image links broke - Added link to Sankaku.)
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-03-06, 17:04

Umm, Thingy, I just noticed a reference to beefcake in your first post. Do you know what beefcake refers to in Britain?
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-06, 17:24

I dont think so... But it's a reference from south park.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-03-06, 18:55

Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-06, 18:57

Oh, i knew that. I thought it meant something else in the UK.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-08, 16:44

Mafia 2 will include... Boobs. Deluxe boobs, that is. 2K games has signed a deal with a certain gentlemen's magazine called Playboy to include more than 50 vintage play boy pin ups. According to 2K, this will add more realism and adult...ness... to the game.

In my opinion, this will be one of those nice touches to the game. Nothing major (i'm not really as hypnotized by breasts as anyone who's seen any of the stuff i post in the favorite pictures thread would think), but it would add realism and a nice amount of detail to the game world.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2010-03-08, 16:47

HA! Mass Effect 2 was a few stone's throw away from getting that coveted AO rating on games here in the U.S XD I haven't ever seen any AO rating ever.. except maybe on the playboy game and Leisure Suit Larry
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Female Number of posts : 4354
Location : PUT THIS IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT. I AM A FREAKING SUPER NOVA
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-03-08, 16:53

But it's nothing compared to the panic and outrage 3 seconds of blue sideboob caused when ME1 came out. Fox did a whole story about it... They even called it a ''Virtual rape machine'' and some other stuff you'd only expect from a high quality news outlet such as Fox news. I think there's a video of the whole thing on Youtube...