Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding Ships to BM

5 posters

Go down

Adding Ships to BM Empty Adding Ships to BM

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-21, 15:32

Adding New Ships to Broken Mirror

Introduction:
This tutorial should be fairly simple as adding new ships is really easy. Assigning governments though is another matter, and can be a little trickier if not done properly.

Open up brokenmirror.fla

In the Library, go to the shiptypes Symbol

Adding Ships to BM 1_67

Now go to Frame 91. On the pics layer, add a blank keyframe (F7)

Adding Ships to BM 2_11

Now on the pics layer, insert your sprite

Adding Ships to BM 3_6

On frame 92, in the code layer, insert a new keyframe (F6). In the new frame, add the code:

gotoAndPlay(mytype);

NOTE: There should be one more frame after the last frame like described above with the action

gotoAndPlay(mytype);

To make this all work, you will need to add a new ship to the itemtext plugin in the preloader scene with all of the proper variables ship name, description, hull etc

You will also need to add the frame number of your sprite to one of the planets (or multiple planets) in the plugin text for planet info. That way you can buy your ship from a planet.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Adding Ships to BM Empty Re: Adding Ships to BM

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-22, 03:02

Again dude,..Thank you.
while this doesn't work for me, (I'm curently not using Macromedia)
this should be of GREAT help to many of those who share my asperations of being able to succesfully
custumise these games.
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-06-22, 08:57

One small thing... Lord-Kain... It doesn't matter if you're usign Macromedia Flash MX, 8 or Adobe Flash Pro CS#... They all work the same way...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-23, 01:41

With all due respect, JPB18,...
this is not the case.

I have made several attempts to find a way to access the action script while useing adobi,
as well as any text files within the game.
I have found that in order to do so you must decompile the game file and once this is done adobi will no longer open the fla files.

perhaps once I have found a way to sercomvent this issue this tut will be more effective for me but as it stands my best bet is to use macromedia first then adobi to finnish the job.
However all of this seems to be a moot point as I have encountered a much larger snaphoo with my project then this,...and it's likely that my free triles will expire long before any more progress can be made.

By all means don't get me wrong,..I'm not trying to make it seem like you are a fool, in fact quite the contrary I have read many of your posts and even visited your seemingly abandened forum,..and it's obvios that you have FAR more expiriance in these matters than I,..I'm just saying I have yet to find a way to even get to the menue options that you guys are reffering to,...let alone editing them.

I'm sure that this tut and others like it will be of great help to others and even myself soon,
but as it stands currently it starts beyond my understanding of the programs I'm attempting to use.
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-06-23, 06:11

you can easily edit the code with notepad++, but that program makes jibberjabber of everything else.

and jpb, macromedia=adobe
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-06-23, 07:41

Lord-Kain wrote:With all due respect, JPB18,...
this is not the case.

I have made several attempts to find a way to access the action script while useing adobi,
as well as any text files within the game.
I have found that in order to do so you must decompile the game file and once this is done adobi will no longer open the fla files.

perhaps once I have found a way to sercomvent this issue this tut will be more effective for me but as it stands my best bet is to use macromedia first then adobi to finnish the job.
However all of this seems to be a moot point as I have encountered a much larger snaphoo with my project then this,...and it's likely that my free triles will expire long before any more progress can be made.

By all means don't get me wrong,..I'm not trying to make it seem like you are a fool, in fact quite the contrary I have read many of your posts and even visited your seemingly abandened forum,..and it's obvios that you have FAR more expiriance in these matters than I,..I'm just saying I have yet to find a way to even get to the menue options that you guys are reffering to,...let alone editing them.

I'm sure that this tut and others like it will be of great help to others and even myself soon,
but as it stands currently it starts beyond my understanding of the programs I'm attempting to use.

Hmmm... I will check that... You use CS4, right? I have now SP1, so... I think I can install Adobe Photoshop CS4 now... any results I will tell you, ok?

me naam is m wrote:you can easily edit the code with notepad++, but that program makes jibberjabber of everything else.

and jpb, macromedia=adobe

Not exactly... Adobe System aquired Macromedia in 2005... But before that Macromedia and Adobe were the main rivals for each other... Now only MS, Alpple and Quark. inc are they're most powerfull rivals....
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-23, 12:03

yes, but flash is still more or less the same. i hate to ask a stupid question lord-kain, but you do have the actions panel open...right (F9 i do believe)
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-06-23, 12:11

Darkwing wrote:yes, but flash is still more or less the same. i hate to ask a stupid question lord-kain, but you do have the actions panel open...right (F9 i do believe)

Indeed... do you have it? Cause I remeber editting a bit of BM engine when I was making BMIV and Flashgate...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-23, 18:08

no,...but that is one of the things I've been trying to explain.
WHAT actions panel?
thare doesn't seem to be an option for that.

Any time I bring up that I'm useing Adobi flash, people start talking about photoshop,..while I have and use that program as well that is not the one I'm refering to.
"Adobi Flash Professional CS4 10" (trial)
Perhaphs the trial portion of that is why I'm having this trouble or perhaphs it's my lack of expireince.

but I will try useing f9 as you suggest.

By the way,....BMIV,..ROCKS!,...Thank You Smile
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-06-23, 18:49

yes, F9. and it simply doesn't matter whether you use AF CS4, i got it too.
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-24, 00:33

yes, you use F9, or you go to Window>Actions that is the crucial important part, and i'm now glad i asked the stupid question!
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-24, 07:29

The only stupid question is the one that's never asked.
Smile
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-06-24, 08:57

I think that is spam (or off topic), my friend... although wise...

Well... I don't have now CS4, but macromedia flash has the same design, so...

Adding Ships to BM Actions
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by raffitz 2009-06-24, 11:32

Just one question: are you using the .swf file or the .fla?

If you're using the .swf file, just know that Vex put the BM source code (meaning the .fla file) in vexxiang.com a long time ago...
Here's the link:
DOWNLOAD

(Topic)
raffitz
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 2234
Registration date : 2007-12-15

https://github.com/raffitz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-26, 05:43

Ok,...
First, it wasn't meant to be spam but rather to get accross the fact that I'm more than a bit new at this
and as such any minute or seemingly mundane detail skiped tends to result in me being complietly lost.

Second, the screan caps that both you and darkwing are showing look NOTHING like what I see useing CS4,..however,
I have found that I can change betwien several "workspace" skins, and it's possable that the functions that you have reffered to are available in one of the ones I havn't found yet.

And third, to ansewr Raffitz,..I'm useing the .FLA file.
I got it from the same place.
I had at one point used a decompiler to open the .SWF file but I found that to be useles, as I couldn't get it recompiled, nor could I get anything to open it after. lol
But I had seen whare someone recomended doing so,..so I gave it a shot,...like I sead though, no luck doing that for me.
I have also tried using notepad to open the files but apparently my notepad is out of date for these files?,...`couse all I get is a very long wait to look at a bunch of sqares and seemingly random other
symbles that I can't find on my keybord. lol

It's like I have said before,..the things I'm looking to do can't be impossable,..I'm just missing something in the prosses.
One thing I havn't been missing is an ever growing respect for those of you who have manniged to accomplish the task.
Indeed you all have my cudoes and admaration.

Lastly,..All I can do at this point is just a learning fase untill the maker of "Undicovered Countries"
can get back to me.
The project I have been working on apparently had already been done,..but I didn't know that when I started.
Now that I do, I have put a hold on things, I wouldn't want to screw with things like that.
However learning this stuff is still a good thing,..I could come up with anouther game idea any moment now. Smile
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-26, 11:43

CS4 does look different from Flash 8 (those were what the screencaps were from) CS4 has another property bar down there for tweening or something like that. But as long as the actions panel is open, then you can access the code in the game. F9 on the keyboard should still do the trick to make it appear
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-26, 19:57

OK,...Smile
Considerably greater success Smile how ever I'm still not quite thare. lol

"NOTE: There should be one more frame after the last frame like described above with the action

gotoAndPlay(mytype);"
Uhm,..huh? Is thare a part missing `couse, I don't know whare you are reffering to.

"To make this all work, you will need to add a new ship to the itemtext plugin in the preloader scene with all of the proper variables ship name, description, hull etc"
Ok,..How do I do that? or are you just reffering to the plug-ins that are available?

You will also need to add the frame number of your sprite to one of the planets (or multiple planets) in the plugin text for planet info. That way you can buy your ship from a planet."

By playing around with the skins and useing f9 as you suggested, I have maniged to get this far.
But the above quotes are a bit confusing to me.
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-27, 10:05

ok, when you open the player symbol, you notice how there are two layers. the pics layer and the code layer. notice how the code layer is one frame longer than the pics layer, and that extra frame has that goto action on it? I'm just saying, if you add a new frame to the pics layer, and a new one to the code layer. now i've never played with what happens if you don't, but i always did it as a precaution.

and yes, you need to add a new ship to the itemtext in the preloader scene if you add a new ship, otherwise the ship will only blow up if play as it.

as for planets, let's say you warp to earth and hail it, and there you can buy 6 ships. in the planet text in the preloader scene (a few frames after the itemtext) you will need to add the number of your ship to a planet so you can buy it to play as or have in your fleet. for example, the steamrunner class is frame 1 in the player symbol, thus it is ship number 1 in the plugin texts in the preloader scene. if the ship you add is on let's say frame 97, then it is ship number 97, and when you add it to say denmark in the plugin texts, you would put 96 as the variable for one of the six ships you can buy at denmark

this help any?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-06-29, 00:41

Ok,..but how do I get into the itemtext in the preloader?
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-29, 00:43

ok, it's on a frame somewhere, it's with a bunch of keyframes. it is just text on the stage, it's not an action in the actions panel, just simple text on the stage
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord-Kain 2009-07-03, 12:21

Still not finding it,...just as well I suppose.
Jerome still has yet to respond to the messege I sent him. Sad
worst of all is my trial use of CS4 is about out.

Still,..I think I have developed quite a knack for editing sprites. Smile
Lord-Kain
Passenger
Passenger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down