Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?

+3
leewatson1
Darkwing
Thingy
7 posters

Go down

Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?  Empty Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 16:57

So, my plan for the future is to either become a software engineer or a technical engineer. Technical engineers are needed the most in France, Germany and the Netherlands. Software engineers however are needed the most in the UK, where they get some pretty bad ass wages. Canada... Well... It sounds fun i guess. But i'd prefer living somewhere near London or some other major UK city.

So, I'm going to ask you Brits and DW, our prime Canuckian (haha, spell check is telling me Canuckian is a misspelling of Canadian), does a middle eastern dude with a very middle eastern name, an education at one of Europe's best Computer Science institutes along with some prime grades, EU citizenship and an Egyptian background have a chance at getting a Canadian/UK citizenship?

Oh, i will also have an absolute crap load of languages by the time i leave KTH (the university i will be attending, and one of the best in Europe as i said before). Like, French, Italian, German, Arabic, Swedish and top notch English
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?  Empty Re: Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 17:02

Yes, very much yes. Canada is much more about "foreigners" than it is its own residents. At least that's been my experience around here
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?  Empty Re: Souuu... Any chance i could get into Canada/ Great Britain?

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 17:07

Well, western immigrant nations tend to succeed more than nations hell bent on making sure no one who isn't white/a westerner and absolutely loves whatever they love the very second he even starts thinking about immigrating to their country. I mean, look at Finland, these guys hate immigrants, and their immigration is somewhere near 0 from what I've heard and their economy is probably going to hit the wall when their population gets older and their failure to replace the people going into retirement kicks in. Besides, isn't a country where all the good things about different cultures come together and form one, strong unity awesome?

But that's good, i might give it a shot if i can't get into the UK. Hell, i might even choose Canada before the UK if there's good programming jobs and taxes there. From what i have been hearing and what I've read, Canada and it's inhabitants are a lot more tolerant of people from different backgrounds than in most European countries.

Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 17:34

Actually, it's kind of funny/sad. America was founded on immigration, every single major contributor to mankind's advancement that did it out of America is an immigrant in one way or another, but now, they've decided to make it this exclusive club.

Look like an Arab? Are you an Arab? No? Middle easternish? Not European? Well then go fuck yourself, we don't care if you graduated with top grades in an advanced field, just go back to your cave and wear towels or something.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 17:53

Don't forget that you're all terrorists too
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 17:56

And communist facist nazi freedom hating Jew Muslim freedom haters who have come to TAKE OUR JEERRRBBSSS AND FREEEDOOOMZ!!!!1111oneon
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 17:57

Well you'll fit in fine here our goverment treats immigrants alot better than it's own people. If you want to move to UK the north east area is probally the best, wages will be slightly lower than nearer to london but newcastle is often considered the best city to live in and living costs are cheaper than everywhere else. Wales and scotland are very nice places very scenic plus living costs are lower there aswell but there are lots of hills.
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 17:58

If you come to Canada, go to BC, Vancouver more specifically, maybe Kelowna
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:01

I assume thats were you live DW, but if he comes to newcastle that will be four members of this forum that live here
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:03

Sigh... I think people just don't get this whole immigration thing... You see, most immigrants are coming to seek shelter from political oppression or, you know, fiery bomby death. They also tend to be piss poor, which is why the government gives them all this money, pays for their new western education and tries to find jobs and homes that will integrate them into UK society.

If they just gave every single Brit 3k a month in ''bloody fun times eh'' (no reason) checks, they would go bankrupt and raise those tuition fees you're whining about to sky high levels because they just can't support the education system or pretty much anything else anymore.

So, no, they're not treating them ''better'' for the lulz, they're doing it to integrate them into your society. Stop whining.

Also, they won't treat me any different than they treat your average UK citizen once I've immigrated and gotten my hands on a job. Same taxes, same everything. Which is because I'm pretty much already integrated into western society, don't have any psychological scars from seeing my friends and family massacred in some war, and have a full on European education at a great university.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 18:06

leewatson1 wrote:I assume thats were you live DW, but if he comes to newcastle that will be four members of this forum that live here

No, I live in Nova Scotia, the complete opposite end of the country. Don't come here, this place is a dead end shit hole, not even the fishermen do well here. Unless you're a senior. If you're a senior, this is the place you want to be
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:08

Is Vancouver where most of the design and service industry is? Because that's where i want to go, since it's probably the industry i'll belong to.

And no, i'm not going to sheepfuckville, lee. I mean, sheep fucking simulators are probably awesome to code and resarch, but it's just not my thing. I'd probably go to London or some other major city in England.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:09

You calling my city sheepfuckville?
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:10

I mean wales. I'm so far mostly ignorant about the volume of sheep fucking occuring in Newcastle (Which is a state i enjoy being in. A state where i'm ignorant about sheep fucking, that is.).

But yeah, i might actually go to Newcastle... Sounds like a pretty good place. But again, London sounds awesome.

Last edited by Thingy on 2011-01-31, 18:11; edited 1 time in total
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 18:11

Thingy wrote:Is Vancouver where most of the design and service industry is? Because that's where i want to go, since it's probably the industry i'll belong to.

And no, i'm not going to sheepfuckville, lee. I mean, sheep fucking simulators are probably awesome to code and resarch, but it's just not my thing. I'd probably go to London or some other major city in England.

Yeah, Vancouver is primarily where things from films to video games to software is developed. Next best would be Central Canada, say Toronto or Montreal
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:12

Well, I'm going to do some research before i choose what path I'm taking in KTH, might just as well research cities and stuff in the UK, Canada and Germany.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 18:14

Yeah, that would be a good idea, cause even I get surprised where some of the primary locations are, cause they're not always the big common ones like Vancouver
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:15

@DW yes alot of video games are produced at vancouver and most are very good

@Thingy newcastle id generally a good city it's a bit colder than london, but air quality is much better and there are lots of green open areas just to relax in, but look at other city's aswell and decide which is best, plus people in the north are much friendlier EG. sit on tube in london, person ignores you. sit on the metro(newcastles version of the tube) you may get a conversation out of someone. also there are a few programming companies up here aswell, but US has the most
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 18:16

leewatson1 wrote:@DW yes alot of video games are produced at vancouver and most are very good

@Thingy newcastle id generally a good city it's a bit colder than london, but air quality is much better and there are lots of green open areas just to relax in, but look at other city's aswell and decide which is best, plus people in the north are much friendlier EG. sit on tube in london, person ignores you. sit on the metro(newcastles version of the tube) you may get a conversation out of someone. also there are a few programming companies up here aswell, but US has the most

Yeah and BSG was made there too Smile
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-01-31, 18:16

So you should definitely come to America, right?
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:18

Darkwing wrote:
Yeah and BSG was made there too Smile

Wasn't alot of stargate filmed there aswell and used canadian actors?
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:19

That's what's so frustrating... It's the best place to go if you want good money, but being from Egypt, they're probably going to tell me to go fuck myself.

But then again, it's an incredibly hostile environment, and I don't really like the US that much... So I'd probably have chosen Canada or the UK before the US. But still.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-01-31, 18:20

Yeah, Stargate is/was filmed here and most of the actors were Canadian. i believe even elements of ME and ME2 were made there
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:21

Actually, i think all the Bioware games are made in Vancouver or wherever in Canada Bioware is.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:21

Lets just say canada fuckin rules!!!!! I might move there later in life it's a very appealing country.
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-01-31, 18:22

Yup, ti's an awesome country. But then again, so is the UK... Which makes my choice harder.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-01-31, 18:23

I don't know what people find so good about the UK we drink tea, we moan and it's always cold and raining
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Evil Person 2011-01-31, 19:53

Thingy, usually i would reccomend against america, but as you know Microsoft and Apple are both based in America as is facebook, you could probibly get a killer job with one of those companies with your backround, but i also reccomend, if you do come to america, go to Pittsburgh PA, lol their are alot of colleges that could use a programing proffesor, lol Very Happy, we also got alot of museums that have complex computer systems, so yeah Very Happy lol, you would fit right in, Pittsburgh, one of the more technically advanced cities Very Happy, we have a tunnel that goes under the river (it was never finished, but you know....lol)
Evil Person
Evil Person
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1176
Location : Space (The Final Fronteer, These are the voyages....)
Registration date : 2009-06-28

http://starwarsuc.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-01-31, 19:56

Thingy wrote:That's what's so frustrating... It's the best place to go if you want good money, but being from Egypt, they're probably going to tell me to go fuck myself.

But then again, it's an incredibly hostile environment, and I don't really like the US that much... So I'd probably have chosen Canada or the UK before the US. But still.

If you stay with me I'll love you a long time <33333
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-01-31, 22:10

And we could go to shows and stuff and detract you from the reason for which you would come to the US! We'll mosh the night away and have multiple bruises and injuries!
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-01-31, 22:41

Well, you'd go where the job is. Which in Britain could well be London.

As for immigration, as an EU member citizen you'd have no trouble. With your standard of English you'd have no problem passing the citizenship checks, race is not a factor there.
There does seem to be some racism in Britain, centred around the poorer areas of the Midlands, but I've never encountered anything like that. I think it's fairly non-prevalent.

EDIT: Sheepfuckville? Low blow, dude. Even if it is true...
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2011-02-01, 01:55

It's good you didn't consider the US. People here will take one look at you and scream.

It's just the way things are here unfortunately.

note: Dang, that storm is picking up! (Blizzard, 10-18 inches expected. May be the biggest storm the US has ever had, ever.)
Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-02-01, 11:33

Yeah and then you guys send it to us, which I'm not happy about because I have to work and I don't appreciate 30cm snowfalls
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-02-01, 12:03

Shemuel wrote: Sheepfuckville? Low blow, dude. Even if it is true...

Well... Sheep... Tender.. Cuddle ville? That better?

But really, wales sounds like a great place, just not somewhere I'd like to be. I prefer cities over rural areas, and i really need a place with programming jobs in abundance.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down