Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DEBATE - Marijuana Legalization

+9
Jtull
Philly Homer
JPB18
Leach54
A-BIack_Man
Thingy
Vedic
leewatson1
Darkwing
13 posters

Go down

DEBATE - Marijuana Legalization Empty DEBATE - Marijuana Legalization

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-26, 00:45

So I'm going to try out a debate here and let's see how it works. One of the on again off again debates here in Canada is whether or not Marijuana should be legalized. Some of the points that have been brought up in past years is the medicinal purposes of marijuana and the simple fact that we have other just as potent toxins that we are legally allowed to intake (ie alcohol, tobacco etc)

So, thoughts, yay or nay to legalization of marijuana?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

DEBATE - Marijuana Legalization Empty Re: DEBATE - Marijuana Legalization

Post by leewatson1 2010-11-26, 06:16

Yay i think marijuana should be legalised, it has been proven that it poses less health risks and is (less addictive)citation needed) than tobacco, plus countrys such as the netherlands have it legalised and it doesn't pose much risk over there. It also has the mediconal effects. It should be legalised but it should be controlled, grown by goverment run facilities and should be carefully tracked, age rated and need ID to buy.
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic 2010-11-26, 06:55

marijuana won't kill you, It will make you see Ponies and Unicorns on the highstreet, but it won't kill you, unless you mistake a moving car for a Unicorn, then yes you will die, but that's there fault, not the drugs.

I'm not a drug expect, and i can't remember if marijuana even causes hallucination so don't quote me on it.
Vedic
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1769
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-11-26, 09:16

It massacres your brain cells. I think my generation is dumb enough as it is.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-26, 11:36

But there are other things that massacre your brain cells as you so eloquently put it, that are legalized such as tobacco smoke. Does having marijuana banned make people want to use it more? The odd thing with humans is that rebellious factor. If you say someone can't have something, then they do stuff to try and have it because it's "exciting" or whatever or they're "sticking it to the man". I'm just curious and these questions are just meant to get the discussion really going
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-11-26, 12:18

Actually, it'll probably end up being like cigarettes. Illegal till you're 18, which means more people will get addicted to it at a younger age, it will be cheaper and a whole bunch of people end up doing worse drugs, since it's a gateway drug.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2010-11-27, 20:28

tobacco smoke doesnt kill brain cells does it? all it does is put tar and other crap in your system, but it doesnt make you stoopid like pot.

keep it illegal. and if it's illegal, the government gets more money whenever they bust someone. they can take everything you have if you've been distributing the crap. and that's good where i live at least.
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 01:29

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the nicotine causes brain cell damage, plus the combination of other toxins will as well if memory serves
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2010-11-28, 02:32

well they don't care how much damage anything does to your body. you're allowed to drink 100 shots of whiskey if you want...or can, but whenever you put someone else in danger by using a car, machine, guns or anything else, then it's illegal.
and i dont know what you guys have where you live, but here there is a ban on smoking in public buildings, because it harms others with second hand smoke.
weed makes you hazy all the time, which means you can potentially put others in danger at any time when you are using it.
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54 2010-11-28, 03:16

Vedic wrote:marijuana won't kill you, It will make you see Ponies and Unicorns on the highstreet, but it won't kill you, unless you mistake a moving car for a Unicorn, then yes you will die, but that's there fault, not the drugs.

I'm not a drug expect, and i can't remember if marijuana even causes hallucination so don't quote me on it.
It does not cause hilucination for future reference.

I FULLY support the legalization of marijuana for many reasons, one being that it does not harm your body nearly as bad as cigarets or alcohol. I do believe that it should be controlled under the same laws that cigarets are.
Leach54
Leach54
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 12:19

I would actually put it more under the laws of alcohol for what black dude said, the haziness and absent mindedness it causes, therefore causing potential danger to other people
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-11-28, 15:14

Well, if we add marijuana, we'd probably get even more car accidents. And how can we benefit from legalizing it anyway? Isn't it better if the things that can kill you or ruin your life are harder to come by?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 15:23

Then should alcohol be outlawed? And there are a few ailments out there in which the only cure or powerful enough pain medication is marijuana. But doctors can't give it out because it's illegal.

Mind you, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I'm actually not sure where I stand on the matter
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2010-11-28, 15:28

Well, marijuana should be allowed for medical purposes, if the doses are small and the doctors are properly inspected so they don't give it out to anyone. But not for recreational purposes. We already have enough drunks and drug addicts, we don't need more.

And alcohol isn't exactly healthy, but unlike marijuana, it's become integrated into western culture to the point where we can't make it illegal without making a shitload of gangs rich.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2010-11-28, 15:29

Darkwing wrote:Then should alcohol be outlawed? And there are a few ailments out there in which the only cure or powerful enough pain medication is marijuana. But doctors can't give it out because it's illegal.

Mind you, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I'm actually not sure where I stand on the matter

Actually, doctors can prescribe Marijuana for those ailments... The same way they prescribe Opium...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 16:04

Not here in Canada and this debate is about whether or not Canada should legalize marijuana
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2010-11-28, 17:23

I was really surprised when California voted against legalization of weed and voted for Prop H8. Not sure how it is in Canada, but hopefully you guys legalize it. It's really not worth the money and effort to regulate pot
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2010-11-28, 17:28

Darkwing wrote:Not here in Canada and this debate is about whether or not Canada should legalize marijuana

Should legalize for medical uses:

Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia wrote:Medical use
Main article: Medical cannabis
Cannabis used medically does have several well-documented beneficial effects. Among these are: the amelioration of nausea and vomiting, stimulation of hunger in chemotherapy and AIDS patients, lowered intraocular eye pressure (shown to be effective for treating glaucoma), as well as general analgesic effects (pain reliever).b[›]
Cannabis was manufactured and sold by U.S. pharmaceutical companies from the 1880s through the 1930s, but the lack of documented information on the frequency and effectiveness of its use makes it difficult to evaluate its medicinal value. Cannabis in the form of a tincture and a fluid extract is documented in a 1929-30 Parke Davis & Co catalog,[65] and is listed as an active ingredient in ten products for cough, colic, neuralgia, cholera mordus and other medical conditions, as well as a "narcotic, analgesic, and sedative". The catalog also lists compound medications containing cannabis that in some cases were apparently formulated by medical doctors, in its Pills and Tablets section.
As cannabis is further legalized for medicinal use, it is possible that some of the foregoing compound medicines, whose formulas have been copied exactly as published, may be scientifically tested to determine whether they are effective medications.
Less confirmed individual studies also have been conducted indicating cannabis to be beneficial to a gamut of conditions running from multiple sclerosis to depression. Synthesized cannabinoids are also sold as prescription drugs, including Marinol (dronabinol in the United States and Germany) and Cesamet (nabilone in Canada, Mexico, The United States and The United Kingdom).b[›]
Currently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease in the United States, largely because good quality scientific evidence for its use from U.S. studies is lacking; however, a major barrier to acquiring the necessary evidence is the lack of federal funding for this kind of research.[66] Regardless, fourteen states have legalized cannabis for medical use.[67][68] Canada, Spain, The Netherlands and Austria have also legalized cannabis for medicinal use.[69][70]

And it seems after all Canada allows that!
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 17:32

Wiki be wrong because they arrest doctors here for giving it out/prescribing it, even if the patient has been cross examined by another doctor and that doctor says that the patient needs marijuana.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2010-11-28, 17:39

Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia wrote:Medical marijuana legislation
Health Canada permits marijuana for approved patients who can demonstrate a medical need for compassionate end-of-life care or debilitating symptoms[9]. Chris Buors, a marijuana activist, was sentenced to six months in jail in November 2004 after pleading guilty to cannabis distribution and marketing charges arising from his operation of the Manitoba Compassion Club which served patients suffering from a variety of illnesses. Lynn Harichy was also put through the criminal courts for creating awareness for medical marijuana. Lynn suffered from multiple sclerosis and died on December 25, 2003, before she could see any real progress of her struggle and efforts.

Talking about this?
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 17:42

Yeah, stuff like that. Seems if it's not life threatening (as in you'll die in 2 months) it's illegal to use.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Leach54 2010-11-28, 20:45

not in all states and countries.
Leach54
Leach54
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2009-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-11-28, 20:49

Darkwing wrote:Not here in Canada and this debate is about whether or not Canada should legalize marijuana
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2010-11-30, 02:53

I think they should maybe once its legal people will use it less and also prices will drop dramatically.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5308
Location : How do you want me to put it? 6 figure grid reference? Codernates? 4 dimentional spacial codernates?
Registration date : 2007-12-04

http://twitter.com/#!/jbctull

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2010-11-30, 18:04

Jtull wrote:prices will drop dramatically.

Legalize it, if only for Jtull.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiyoshi Midnight 2010-11-30, 18:16

The only reason, and this is purely opinion, that the United States won't legalize it is because they couldn't profit much from it.. They wouldn't be able to actually keep a grip upon it to even make money because all you need is the seeds and something to plant them in and make sure to keep it alive.. I'm guessing the same goes for Canada as well.

But, to be general here as for anywhere, it should.. One of the main side effects, if you even want to call it that, is getting really hungry. There's not much else that happens.. Depending on who you are, the absent-mindedness may or may not occur.. and there is a slight impairment to judgement, but multiple people here in the states, including a retired surgeon general, have stated that Marijuana is safer than tobacco and alcohol (Spellcheck, using IE)..
Kiyoshi Midnight
Kiyoshi Midnight
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2008-12-08

https://s795.photobucket.com/home/ParadoxialEnigma/index

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2010-11-30, 18:50

really I think its just they don't want people being stoned all the time.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Location : How do you want me to put it? 6 figure grid reference? Codernates? 4 dimentional spacial codernates?

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-12-01, 00:24

Nah, I'm not worried about it being legalised. But I do worry that more people could go onto something harder instead. In fifty years people could be debating the legalisation of LSD. Where do we draw the line?
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-12-01, 00:26

Ohhh man, there are so many debate topics out there on that topic of "where do we draw the line"
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-12-01, 00:32

Nah, but I have friends who do that stuff, and I wonder if it might become the norm like alcohol and they go onto something more edgy and illicit.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2010-12-01, 01:39

METH should be 100% banned put a death sentence on the use and dealing of it.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-12-01, 09:05

But...but....then you wouldn't have anymore forum leader....Sad
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamerang 2010-12-01, 09:57

i think it should be legalized but only to be used medically and not as something to get you high. Then again people will find a way of not using it medically anyway..
Gamerang
Gamerang
Cadet
Cadet

Male Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2010-03-30

http://www.flashtrek.motionsforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2010-12-04, 16:23

yea they always will :/

but if you want a high just look at this dog!