Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (remake)

Go down

A Nightmare on Elm Street (remake) Empty A Nightmare on Elm Street (remake)

Post by Philly Homer 2010-05-02, 03:45

So again, it's a slasher film remake. I figured this one would be pretty good (Friday the 13th was pretty disappointing.) Bright spots were few and far between, so overall it was pretty much the repetitive crap you can expect from slasher films. Mind you, this is a series that has 8 installments, if you include Freddy vs. Jason. There's only so many ways you can kill people in their dreams with a knifey glove.

The Good

- Extremely cheesy scenes that were in the original were cut out (see: guy sucked into bed, bed spews gallons of blood out onto the walls...)

- The end -
Spoiler:

The Bad

- Freddy's lines - After dog dies, "I was just petting her!"

- It's pretty hilarious at points where it's not supposed to be (see: Freddy turning around in the bookstore really fast)

- Way too repetitive: guy falls asleep, guy ends up in basement, guy wakes up, guy falls asleep again sometime, guy dies via a knived hand through the chest. Rinse and repeat.

- We were given too much reasons behind Freddy's actions. We don't care about his rationale, it only serves to make him less scary.

The Ugly

- The acting, and especially Freddy's. His character is reduced from a(n awesome) psychopathic murder to a creepy pedophile. He also toys with his victims too much instead of just going at them. He's supposed to be a badass! If the general acting got me bored, this got me disgusted.

- Music (and then lack of music) foreshadows every time Freddy pops out via a jump-out-in-your-face fashion. This seems to be a common trend with every horror movie made these days. In other words, it's predictable. Not very impressive.

- Ridiculous things that were kept from the original happen. For example, the bathtub and the bedroom acrobat scenes. It's funny, and not in a good way.

Overall, I was really disappointed. Though I really shouldn't be surprised, considering every slasher remake has been worse than the original. Meh. Make your own judgments. If you have not seen the original, please do. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street (and maybe Hellraiser) are the essential slasher films and the remakes do not do them justice.

1/5
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down