Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance!

+4
Darkwing
Galaxy-Scarface
JPB18
Jerome Star
8 posters

Go down

A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance! Empty A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance!

Post by Jerome Star 2010-02-07, 16:38

Well, it's been a LONG time, and for that, I apologize greatly! College has been backed up, and my schedule has been hectic. Since the holidays are over, however, AND since I've recently lost my job (because they had to lay off some employees to make ends meet), I've gotten enough time to at least write and let you all know of some updates.

Recently, I've been having trouble getting any more trial versions of Flash CS4, and - to be honest - I'm half-afraid that if I keep on going like this, I'll be in big trouble with Adobe. xD So, until I earn some money and get a steady income from another job, I won't be able to use Flash CS4.

BUT!!! I noticed that my original default plug-in files - particularly for the planets, although I also have the files for ship and weapon stats - are all still on my hard drive. I plan on finishing the planets part of the plug-in, since everything else is finished. Eventually, I'll get that done and maybe submit it in basic plug-in form to play in-game. I'll also release the latest version of the swf I can get from Mediafire.

Now, I'm going to need some help. Since I have no access to Flash CS4, I need someone who does. Once I'm finished with my planets plug-in, I could use some help in getting those plug-ins injected into the game. Then, it would be nice if someone could help program the default government relations within the flash coding. Someone who at least knows what to look for would be great.

After this, the game /should/ be finished, or at least in a much more enjoyable state. I'd highly encourage any attempts at making the intro, menu, and interface more appealing, as my last attempts at that failed spectacularly. Apparently, art - or at least, making art work in-game - just isn't my strong suit. If you'd like, feel free to implement a new design... To be honest, I won't mind how it looks, but feel free to discuss it among yourselves.

Again, I'd like to give my BIGGEST apologies for my absence. I wish reality didn't bite so much, or I'd have finished this long ago. But I definitely don't want to see this project go down in smoke. I'd like to play a bit of Terran Empire vs. Galactic Empire at least once myself.

Sadly, I also had some ideas for ship changes and such, but not enough time to implement them before the trial period was up. I was going to make all the Stargate ships Tau'ri-based (except for the last, which would have been Atlantis itself), and - while I'm not certain if I managed to make this change before my current swf file royally screwed up - I was going to replace the puddle jumper with the F-302. Guess those ideas won't be coming to fruition unless someone wants to take up the mantle there.

Anyway, so I'm looking for help! Let's get this game done, and done right! Everyone should be able to enjoy this, and not have to see it wither away!
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 711
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance! Empty Re: A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance!

Post by JPB18 2010-02-07, 16:48

Hmm Hmm... I have access to Flash CS4... If you want me to make this changes just send me the files to my e-mail (in a ZIP/RAR format with all the changes you need...).
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance! Empty Re: A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance!

Post by Jerome Star 2010-02-07, 18:04

Alright. I could either send you my latest FLA file (which still has that problem with a screwed up player ship; I have yet to find out what's wrong with it), or I could send you the FLA of the swf here on the site, which might be easier to work with.

Oddly, I noticed a few sound effects I'd put into the latest FLA file weren't in this site's SWF version. Mostly the staff blasters on the Goa'uld ships and the mini-railguns on the BSG fighters. I also think I made a mistake with the Ori ships, since they use a weapon that has a sound similar to the 23rd century Starfleet phasers.

I'll upload the FLA file and let you see what can be done with it. It's got a few major things fixed, but there are still bugs. Need a good bug tester/fixer to help.
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2010-02-08, 20:09

Welcome back JS and glad to hear you're still working on this!
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-02-08, 20:49

hey it's Jerome!! Good to see you! And don't worry about incompletion of the game, hopefully life will be long and time will be plenty at some point in the future Smile
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2010-02-09, 17:49

Upload the lattest one, then give me a few indications on what it is presumely the problem... I might get it done quickly...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-02-09, 18:08

Glad to see you're enjoying college Smile
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2010-02-19, 21:32

Cool! Welcome back man!

Take your time though, no rush.

Last edited by Darkjedi on 2010-02-21, 01:13; edited 1 time in total
Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Final Frontier 2010-02-20, 05:32

I have Flash CS4, and it's not a trial, but I don't know much about making games with it.
Final Frontier
Final Frontier
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-04-05, 02:28

Hey guys,

You all have /no/ idea how badly I wanted to get back on these forums and make a little report on my progress. Thus far, I've had trouble locating the source of the problem. Now before I go any further, I'm getting the fla file uploaded, so if anybody else wants to take a look, feel free to. The problem occurred after I had downloaded it; the fla file itself was ripped from the swf, so it is /very/ likely something was lost in transition. Now while the 157 mb file is uploading, if anybody is on, feel free to discuss what the problem may be. I'll come back and edit this post if nobody responds with the link... after it's uploaded.

By the way, if we really can't figure something out, I will grudgingly relinquish this project and idea to someone else. If I can find a way around these accursed Flash CS4 trial versions, I might be able to sit down for several hours a day and work on it, but it will take me weeks to catch up with my latest progress. I heard at least one other person has been working on a similar mod concept, so if I can't make this one work, I won't take up everyone's valuable time. I want to see a game like Universes Collide completed myself. Even if it means I have to sacrifice my own wreck of a game (at present) to do it. =(

Here we are: http://www.2shared.com/file/12438393/59c7d741/Undiscovered_Countriesswf.html
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Final Frontier 2010-04-28, 11:45

I can try. However the site won't let me download. When I click on it it directs me to one of those spamming ads that says you win this if you answer this. Can you please use another file uploading site eg. mediafire.com ?
Final Frontier
Final Frontier
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-07, 22:29

i figured it out, u go down to the bottom of the page and click the " click here " button next to save the file to your computer, and wait a bit. Very Happy

crap! nvm :*(
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Male Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-05-08, 01:20

Aah, I see what happened. 2shared used to be so good, but apparently it's not working like it used to. Hold on for a bit guys, and I'll try and get it uploaded to MediaFire for you to download.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm going to try 4shared. I'm having trouble uploading files to MediaFire. =P
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-08, 12:44

if it's small enough, just upload directly to the forum
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-05-08, 17:19

It was about 150-something Megabytes. Anyway, here it is, hope you don't mind the wait -- took all night to upload. =P

http://www.4shared.com/file/C9Y-suHa/Undiscovered_Countriesswf.html
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-09, 00:21

oh...yeah, the forum holds like 17MB. Wait what?!?! How the frig did you make it 150 MB?!!?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:03

i download it and all that, and because i dont have a flash playing program i open it with the internet explorer, but when i do this it asks me do i want to open or save the file. i click open and it just does that again. any ideas?
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:08

hmmm, well you could see about downloading flash player itself. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow or something, that might help
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:09

my friend has one on the computers in my CAD class i just have problems putting it on a flash drive, i always forget or dont feel like it.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:10

ah, well, it might help sort some of these issues out, or at least give us a starting point to figure out what the trouble might or might not be
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:23

darn im confused now A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance! 982429 ( im slow.) ok ill start from the begging
1. i go to the site and click the download button.
2. i give up on waiting so i right click the download button and click "open in a new tab"
3. in this case the original click (step 1) finally finishes and i close the other tab
4. i wait 8 mins for the download to finish
5. it finishes, i right click the new .SWF file on my desktop and click "Open With..."
6. i open it with internet explorer.
7. it asks me to download it again.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:24

...that one is odd. hmmmmm, i'm probably going to have to try it
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:31

the "open with.." thing works with BM 1,2, and 3 SWF files perfectly, and still does, so i can only guess its the download
i like your new avatar, captain jack was cool, too bad he was homo.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:32

it's not cap'n jack, it's ethan hunt!
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:33

what show? i was talking about torchwood. great ending to that series. rather epic in my opinion.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:34

Mission Impossible of course.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:36

lol i wouldve never guessed. never saw that movie. i think we own it too. hm.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:37

well, to be honest, I haven't seen the first one all the way through before, but I have the second and third ones
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:38

cool, whats it about?
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-10, 01:39

spies, super super secret spies that do impossible tasks. it's pretty cool, if you get the chance, watch one of the films, or the old TV series which was pretty good too all things considering. Anyways, this is far enough off topic, so back on track we go please
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-10, 01:41

k im trying downloading it again. it must be the download becasue BM1 works in media player but UC doesnt

edit: you know what i figured it out! its an FLA Auto_file rather than a SWF file!
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-05-11, 13:05

Darkwing wrote:oh...yeah, the forum holds like 17MB. Wait what?!?! How the frig did you make it 150 MB?!!?
Lol, it was like that when I got it with the SWF extractor months back. I don't know how in the hell it got so big, but since I tried to run the SWF file, the ship just freezes in place and doesn't move anywhere but up. I tried the new version of CS4 (as I'm still calling it), but it was too damn confusing. I ran out of trial time while looking for the source of the problem. xD

Oh, and Mission Impossible kicks arse. Good to see you're getting into spy movies; check out the Bourne series too while you're at it. A Long Overdue Update / Requesting Assistance! Icon_cool
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-11, 13:08

oh, i've always been a spy series fan. and bourne is my favourite action movies of all time
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-05-11, 13:17

With the knowledge that I might steer this thread off-topic for a few minutes, I'll ask... have you seen Mission Impossible III yet? What did you think? Better/worse than M:I 2?
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-11, 13:18

better than MI2 I think, though MI2 has some classic scenes (jumping off the colliding motorcycles for instance). I just thought MI3 had a nice mixture of story and action
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2010-05-11, 13:23

Heh, best part in MI3 I have to say is when Luther works on creating a face-mask for Ethan. Finally, the secret behind the mysterious masks revealed!
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2010-05-11, 13:25

yeah, that was pretty cool. i like when ethan comes up with the crazy plan at the end. He's just like "How tall do you think those buildings are?" and Luther is like "no, no no"
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-12, 20:36

[confused] i should watch this movie. lol i tried watching 007 lastnight i was able to stand 3 mins of it. its not bad, i really would like it if i cared for bond at all.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2010-05-13, 13:48

Flashgamer, that is spammish. James bond isn't the same as Mission:Impossible.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by flashgamer3 2010-05-13, 20:53

its related. bond was talked about in a previous post i believe.
flashgamer3
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down