Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just a Quick Update

+4
Galaxy-Scarface
Shemuel
JPB18
Jerome Star
8 posters

Go down

Just a Quick Update Empty Just a Quick Update

Post by Jerome Star 2009-08-28, 22:01

Heyyo, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA for a bit; school is coming along great! Insofar I've got a very little ways to go before I complete my classes and can get started at ITT Tech, where I plan to take video game design as my major! Hopefully it will be an experience in which I learn a /lot/ more about Java and Python, two programming languages I have been intrigued by most recently. Before I get all of that, I may have to spend about a year or more with Grammar classes and a single Math and History/Culture class before I can go into the really important stuff... The core classes themselves!

Anyways, about the mod: Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about it. I just haven't been able to get around to it. I'm posting now because I have until Monday to relax (my weekend) before I start back up on my classes yet again. My computer has been very uncooperative lately, as I might have told all of you at least once before I left. The internet has become more and more difficult, and I've been having trouble downloading particularly large files. My first couple of tries downloading CS4 has been unsuccessful. But I'm giving it another try today, and I have enough time to tell you guys that I'm /still/ here! Not going to abandon this epic project, especially since /I/ really want to play it too! Basketball

I'll be posting again as soon as I get Flash CS4 on my comp (I had to partition my hard-drive at one time, so c:\ isn't going to be where I'm putting CS4; instead, I'm downloading it to the second partition, j:\). And then maybe one more time after that perhaps halfway through with my plug-in work, though I highly doubt that. If I can get CS4 back up and running, I'm going to work straight through the day tomorrow and try and get it done before Monday comes up; then we can all have our game!

Banana

Anyways, don't worry about me 'rushing' it. Most of the default plug-in for the game was completed, and I recently got back my latest version of the fla so I can get back to work! All I've got to implement is some of the default stuff for each 'race' and the planet/random text plug-ins. It will be done in no time at all.

Just a Quick Update 200px-Gentlemen
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 711
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Just a Quick Update Empty Re: Just a Quick Update

Post by JPB18 2009-08-28, 23:08

Hmm... great...

Welcome back, Jerome, and it seems you're following the same course that I will...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-08-29, 07:27

Glad to hear the game is still in your thoughts, Jerome. and I believe you are owed some kudos for learning some python.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2009-08-29, 16:55

Yeah, Python is a /difficult/ language. Anyways, Flash CS4 finished installing late last night and I've started to use it since I woke up today. I'm switching a few ships in and out and planning on changing some of the races (the Independents will probably be the Terran Confederation from Wing Commander, as I recently came upon a large number of sprites from those games). I'll see what I can do about adding ships from other sci-fi shows too, but one thing at a time.

I'm also working on the mission text for when you beam down to a planet. Several different scenarios will be presented, most of them similar to episodes from the various series. Also, beaming down to a planet will have even more of an effect this time around, but the chances of getting something bad to happen and /losing/ reputation is slightly higher this time too. Just to be fair.

I should be able to get it done before Monday comes around. I don't have much else to do right now, so I'll have plenty of time to devote to the game. Looking forward to finishing it, I am! =D
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-08-29, 19:26

no i think this game needs independents. maybe you could insert that race somewhere else?
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2009-08-29, 19:52

how far along is this game?
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-08-30, 00:57

Galaxy-Scarface wrote:no i think this game needs independents. maybe you could insert that race somewhere else?

it's his game, if he doesn't want indies he doesn't need indies, plain and simple. i mean it doesn't really make that much differene anyways, no matter what, you still start with a ship and a name, so big whoop if one is titled independent and whatever the other one was (yes I'm a little grouchy so watch out)
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2009-08-30, 01:00

Well, I was thinking that the Terran Confederation would be able to be independents anyways. Each race in the game is a variant of humans. Just about anyone could be an Independent. I just need a human race that is multi-faceted; humans that could likely operate just about any ship-based tech thrown their way. The Terran Confederation of the Wing Commander series is really quite epic at doing so. Besides, I don't think I'll be able to stop the game from giving the computer Independents random ships, so they'll still be 'independent' in a sense. (also, can't the term 'Confederation' be generally defined as 'independent'? considering the structure of confederations, I wouldn't be surprised if the Terran Confederation would actually start utilizing multiple ship types from across the sci-fi spectrum if put in a situation such as this)

Anyways, the game is /very/ close to being finished. It might take a tad bit longer with my addition of the Terran Confederation, but not by much. Maybe less than a few hours longer than expected if CS4 acts cooperative. I'll let you all know more tomorrow after getting a bit of work done on it. Maybe I'll be able to release another beta with the changes/additions until the game is entirely finished. Basketball

And thanks for the vote of confidence on my part, DW. Smile
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-08-30, 01:03

what? the griping at GS? surem no problem, any day
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-08-31, 11:12

well here is my suggestion if you use windows then just do the defragme ( thing ) and also run a virus scan and you should make you pc working faster ( like 10% faster ) .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-08-31, 11:13

well here is my suggestion if you use windows then just do the defragme ( thing ) and also run a virus scan and you should make you pc working faster ( like 10% faster ) .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2009-08-31, 13:48

Yeah, viruses have gotten on my computer several times before. I've been running COMODA Anti-Virus protector. It's been doing a good job catching and identifying viruses as they come on, letting me quarantine them and delete them at will. It runs a virus scan almost every day. I've toyed with the defragmenter and have my second partition of my hard-drive defragmented. It's working at a pretty good speed now, but Windows loves to toy with complex programs like Movie Maker and such. And the Adobe programs in general are slow.

No worries though. If I can find a solution to a current actionspeak (I'm assuming) problem that I've run into, I've already got a good deal done of the default plug-in. But if anybody really wants the game to look 'flashy' and extremely different: I've been planning to change some of the default menu boxes myself with GIMP here soon, but for a /really/ different feel altogether, somebody else will have to mess with it. I've already tried toying with the HUD, and it screwed up pretty badly when I did.
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-08-31, 13:56

yeah, i already know what you did and it was simple to remedy
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-08-31, 15:28

well i may have a solution but it is a bit complicated well just follow my steps .
1. click start -> run
2. type there "msconfig" (without "") a window should appear , select the "startup" tab .
3. you will a list of all the programs that start whit your windows and you can deselect the useless one but be careful not to deselect any important stuff .
--------
you can also change you anti virus because yours is eating too much of the system resources try this one http://free.avg.com/ .
-------
also you can do a partition cleaning ( i don`t mean formatting ) :
1. right click on a partition
2. click "properties "
3. under the general tab click "disc cleanup"
------

why did i made all this because i also want to play the game .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-08-31, 16:53

I would be very careful deleting things from startup

AVG is far more of a resource hogger than Comodo. It's one of the biggest hoggers, even the free version.

And disc cleanup is good to do, but is unlikely to increase speed.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-08-31, 17:08

well on my pc avg works good and is free but i never tried comodo and about the startup most of the thing there are useless the important thing are in the services tab and about disc cleanup well it does free a lost of space if you never used it ( i heard of a guy that had 5 gb there ) and you can also check the partition for error
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-08-31, 18:18

Anyway, we are going off-topic. Let's leave this for WUC talk.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by 619biggam619 2009-09-08, 10:05

Hope There Is Cylones, Random Alien Ships From Like, Farscape, Accident BattleShip Very Happy

And So Many More...
619biggam619
619biggam619
Passenger
Passenger

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-09-08, 14:59

(You might try defragging your disk... at least it will speed up the access speed of your files slightly, but don't expect great improvements
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down