Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

today`s gaming

5 posters

Go down

today`s gaming Empty today`s gaming

Post by webxro 2009-08-31, 16:20

well here i want to hear you opinion about gaming industry of the present but i am glad to hear about predictions for the glorious future and thing about the glorious past .

well i will start i am sick about the present market and i play games as old as me because a good game isn't all about good graphics and sound a good game is about you the player having a good time and when you go to sleep you have a last thing in you mind what will happen next in the game what will you do and how will thing evolve , where in the struggle for perfection out games have lost their soul the have become cold and unhappy where are the epic battles of heroes and great dragons where is the boy that whit a small ship saved the universe , well if the games won`t return to the origins they will lose us , well great titles come and go ( like fallout ) but the thing that matters is what stays in our soul and mind : the hope for a better future .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

today`s gaming Empty Re: today`s gaming

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-08-31, 20:24

very interesting. my view on all this is what follows(and you'll find its a bit similar to wexbro's): Games today are all about other people. there is massive ratings by 'professionals' and stores won't sell them sometimes if they get a bad rating, mostly for dumb things like graphics. another thing is that every game console is overrun by online play. i recently purchased a game for my ps3(which isnt connected to the internet and never will be as it serves mostly as a blu-ray player and my dad watches those every day) and the first thing it did was try to connect to the internet, and it was very hard to get around to playing the game when annoying pop-ups come up like 'you must be connected to the internet to do this' i had the version of this game from 5 years ago and it was very fun, so i had high expectations for this game, but everything that made the game fun 5 years ago has since moved to online-only. something that really saddens me is that 95% of all the games that have 5/5 stars and win awards are rated M. Here in the US, it is illegal to buy games rated M if you are under 18(but not T if youre under 13, so i bought a ton of those games when i was 11 and 12). it makes the games a bit hard to sell to teens(who are the main players of games)legally. 80% of the aforementioned games are dark(i know because ive played some illegally) unless all of these 'professionals' are thingy, why do they think dark-themed games are the best games? i agree, i like the sci-f based games where you're in a little spaceship trying to save the galaxy.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2009-08-31, 20:49

like webroxo said its all about graphics and sounds and multiplayer some of the best games ive played arnt multiplayer for example fallout,mass effect and lego sta wars. what makes a game is its storyline e.g. fallout 3 has an immense story line which changes depending on the decisions you make in the game you have at least 3 fun playthroughs just exploring the diffrewnt options. what we need is games with a good storyline that draws the player in when im playing i want to be thinking whats going to happen next not is there gonna be anymore people grom a country ive never heard of joining my game. i say we should start a campaign for more games with reasonable age ratings and good storylines that do not focus on multiplayer
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 08:32

well people that think like me ( and you ) are playing abandonware games or kingdom of loathing did you ever tried it it is a game that has graphics made from a few line and it still succeeds in being a very funny game and whit many players and by the way did anyone play the original wing commander , well i did and i also played a lot of really original game that had old graphics but they have a very nice game-play , how many of you have the latest versions of NFS and FIFA well i bet that you don`t because just i said a good graphic is not the only thing that defines a good game i mean the version of fifa appear each year and NFS a couple of years but they still find some low-intellect creatures that buy the game and consider that that game is the best is the world , but still there are good games that don`t need graphics and good games that have graphics for instance fallout 3 , sacred 2 ,spore ect., but the list is short because people evil and ugly and without imagination and wont play that game unless it need the top computer for it anything that is a little of the box they say is crap
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 10:38

Gaming is... Well, generally good. Graphics are going forward and getting better by every new title that comes out, games are still tons of fun, and there's a couple of new/ improved mechanics (like morale. Mass effect is an example of that). But the biggest problem is the price of games...

I have to pay 600 kr to get anything that has been on the market for a year. And the consoles cost... TONS of cash. But that's understandable... It costs alot to put one together and it probably cost alot to develop it. They have to get their cash somewhere, and we're their only source of cash.

@Galaxy Yes, you might think they're dark. But you've probably not played them too much... Most games either brighten up as you progress or become darker and darker till the last title of the series comes along, where it gets better. And that's for a good reason.

You see, if you want to make the user actually care about his character, the people around his character or something in the game world, you dont just dump in a truckload of strawberry shortcakes, giggledust and smiley pies. If everyone's happy through the entire game and there's very little trouble, it'll just become dull.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 11:28

yes graphics are developing very well but the game-play and originality of game is going lower and lower almost all new games are in fact old games whit new graphics .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 11:30

Well, yes, maybe. But improvements are there for a reason, you know. Like mass effect. It's very similar to the old space operas, but it manages to tell the story and the background story so much better than the operas did. Mostly because they dont have a real max time limit.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 12:16

yes but ti still the same old thing whit a new hat
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 12:57

Yes, but in most cases it's not too bad. If you dont count all the WW2 games... They're in the hundreds. Hell, the WW2 games are so many, that the combined lenght of all in game D-Day landings take several times more time than the real D-Day operation.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 13:37

then that means that you agree whit me and you think that today`s gaming world needs originality .
you shouldn't compare old games whit the new ones until you have played all the great old games
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 13:50

I have played some old games, and yes, some of the newer games are maybe using a similar story as some old games, but they always manage to do it better. Both gameplay wise and storyline wise.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 14:07

can you tell me a few titles of really old game that you played . because i what to know what kind of game do you like .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 14:14

Fallout 1, Fallout 2 (or at least a part of it), Xcom, pac man, asteroids, homeworld 1, metal gear solid, beyond good and evil (2003), galactic civilizations 1 and a ton of other games.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 14:32

nice you should try civilization 2 , starcontrol 2 , master of Orion 1 and i could continue the list , but the main thing is that in the past games where more original then now for instance settlers and since then people just add new game-play not just new graphics .
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-09-01, 14:44

I have civ 2, haventr tried any of the other though. But yes, you're right. They did have more originality back then, but that's because there werent alot of games back then. There are hundreds of titles now, you cant make a story without tripping over one of the older ones.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 14:56

i am not saying about story i am saying about game-play tell me what a new and original game except spore
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-09-01, 16:33

My view on today's gaming: I love how the graphics are getting better, but if the storyline, or plot is wasted because all the people focused on was better graphics, then what's the point of playing? Some of the retro games, such as Breath of Fire, had good plotlines, and great graphics for when they were around. They had a few sad scenes, from which one of my favorite songs comes from (Sad Melody, Sarah's Song, Sarah's Ballad, etc..). The first ever Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars was a great play as well, and the following one which happened to be Paper Marior was also good, and so were a lot of the games back then. Now, storyline, character development, and other things of that nature are lost with getting the graphics to run at max on the Next-Gen consoles (360, PS3, Wii), and it takes so long that they get rushed into slaughtering a good storyline. Take Fable from the Xbox. They had to release Lost Chapters as a apology because they took so much out of it.. I wished they would have done so with KOTOR I and II. (almost 20-40 pages of content that wasn't in KOTOR II.... and a lot of that stuff was great if it was IN the game.) A entire side-story was lost because the designers were rushed... People need to be more patient. Games like that need a balance of graphics and playability.
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Female Number of posts : 4354
Location : PUT THIS IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT. I AM A FREAKING SUPER NOVA
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by webxro 2009-09-01, 16:42

that's what i am saying and i encourage people to go and play old games and see the greatness of the old days , do you remember that in almost any game whit magic there is a ancient power that is stronger then the present one and lost spells and weapons well that what happening in our days we have great past and a shiny future but the present is in the dark age
webxro
webxro
Ensign
Ensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down