Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy

+4
A-BIack_Man
Philly Homer
JPB18
Darkwing
8 posters

Go down

A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy Empty A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-22, 13:14

So I'll start off by saying things are messed up. Reading your Facebook and seeing what your mom posts and stuff and knowing what you've told me about her, leads me to believe much as I do about many Americans which is this: plan for the future.

America as a country is in serious debt and why? They didn't plan for the future. This seems to be a common trait in a lot of Americans as individuals, especially in the middle class sector. You guys just sort of wing it and hope for the best and though that might have worked in the fifties when there was an abundance of just about everything and everyone was somewhat wealthy, that isn't the case now. Now we need to plan ahead, strategize and use our brains.

So what am I getting at here? Jobs vs careers, that's what. This is a concept your mom, at least at first glance, doesn't seem to comprehend and therefore encourage. She seems that she would just as much rather have you work the shittiest job on the planet for no reason other than to survive. Why? Because that's what she does. Now before I go any further, despite what all the mega corporation and retail giants will tell you, working retail IS NOT a career. Sure, if you're lucky, dumb enough and can put up with the sky high amount of shit, you might and I stress might, have a chance at working your way up their corporate ladder. But here's the kicker, should they go out of business, need to make cuts, whatever, you are no where secure, even if you're in a higher position. If you get cut loose from the corporate giant, you can't walk into another retail place and expect even close to where you were before. You'll be back at the bottom with the rest of the teenagers, except by then, you'll be 40 some years old with no chance of a real future.

So what should you be doing? Quite simply, have a plan. Without a plan, you are nothing, insignificant and have next to no chance of being anything. Despite the American philosophy of aw hell, let's wing it, we're Americans, that doesn't work. As I said before, you country is in massive amounts of debt, its citizens are in debt and why? Because they didn't plan ahead. Granted there are unforeseen circumstances and things life will throw at you that you simply can not prepare for, but you have to do the best you can.

By now you've probably gathered a bit of where I'm going with this. You need to formulate yourself not just long term goals, but a plan to get there AND backup plans in the event that you should fail. So how and where does Wal-Mart fit into your plan? It's quite apparent your mom doesn't know how to deal with you. You have skills and talents that exceed what she could even dream of and like everyone else of that nature, they will try and lock you down for the rest of your life in a position like theirs, because they simply don't know any better and on the inside, are a bit afraid too. Currently you are trapped in a place that isn't suited for your skills and talents and doesn't understand them nor cares to. People will always be asking more of you, to the point of it being inhuman. Wal-Mart just jumps the curb a little and expects inhuman amounts of work out of you from the get-go. I will say this, the world isn't a comfortable place from which you can enjoy from an armchair and it is most certainly unfair. What can you do about it? Make a protest I suppose would be one option, flail your arms frantically as people passing by give you queer looks and it will be short lived and you will have simply been one more person to have frantically flailed your arms. That seems to be what you want to do now. You're running on subjectivity and letting it make objective decisions for you because you've learned that the world is a shit show and wants you to shovel it, along with everyone else. A place like Wal-Mart is the equivalent of a sweatshop, just set in the first world. Wal-Mart can get away with anything it wants and it sure as hell is unfair, but you're nobody and Wal-Mart relies on that. And the thing is, you can flail your arms now, be all whiny about it, quit your job or get fired or whatever suits your fancy, but I'm pretty sure within the span of 10 minutes, they probably got someone else willing to do your job. Why? Cause we're all nobodies and as long as there's a plethora of nobodies looking for work, Wal-Mart and places like it, are secure.

So this all seems really hopeless and leaves you asking the question of is this all that life is? In short, yes, yes it is, but you have a tool in your arsenal that if used appropriately and wisely, can perhaps bring you up above the status of being nobody and perhaps even get you security. And that is planning, being smart and thinking ahead. And what does that equate? Well, in these days, education. Education is for the most part one of those things that gives you the opportunity at having this career and not a job. Now the immediately foreseeable problem is that Americans with good educations aren't getting jobs or careers because there is a shortage of jobs available because America is in this huge ass debt. So plan for that. Be prepared to go where the careers are.

But here's the kicker, the real world, even the career world, is like Wal-Mart, just with more selection in flavour. So if you can't shovel the shit at Wal-Mart, where it's relatively easy shit to shovel, how will you be able to do it in the 3D Animation world? As a doctor? As a mechanic etc? You'll be in a higher class perhaps, but it's still going to be the same shit to shovel which is simply, you're not good enough, do more work in less time. That's the 3D Animation world in a nutshell for you, except the work is harder, more intense and a hell of a lot more intricate. So if you can't put up with being talked down to over some carts, how are you going to make shrinking deadlines? You can't even stay focused on one project without getting bored and changing projects every couple of weeks. Without the proper focus you will simply end up in 1 of two places, at a place like Wal-Mart your entire life, or on the street. Being able to be above this, even to a degree, takes a level of aggressiveness and smarts that I'm not sure you've displayed before. Your solutions to solving your problems at Wal-Mart seem to be limited to threatening to quit via Facebook (oh the difference you'll make to that bad, bad company) or simply complaining about how shitty your life is there, again via Facebook. If you get punched in the nose by somebody, do you run away? Do you go online and complain about how there's assholes that need to sharpen up but you ultimately do nothing about it? Or do you hold your ground and create a plan, a plan for making sure they're not ever going to punch you in the nose again?

Plans are not instant. You could hold your ground simply by trying to punch back on the spot, but if you're not strong enough, they'll come at you harder than before. So you have to formulate something that will work over time and you have to be willing to take the punches until then, because life is going to beat you silly. And as I said, if you can't take it over some carts, I cannot see how you will take it later on in life when it comes to more important and more challenging things. Life is a constant struggle and you are going to get beaten, but you have the chance every now and again, to win a few battles, but it takes brains.

So here's my suggestion. By all means, beat Wal-Mart, beat it and everything it stands for as hard as you can. But you can't do it now. You could flail your arms, give a wimpy punch and then realize that though you may temporarily feel better about it, or justified or something, you have not beaten it. In fact, but just waltzing in there tomorrow, slapping down your two weeks and saying "take that you mother fuckers," Wal-Mart will have won.

But what do you do is the question? If you can't just go in and put in your notice cause you're angry and it seems smarter to just keep working there, when do you draw the line? When does it stop? How long will you work for places like Wal Mart? Well, forever at that rate, unless of course you have a plan.

This is how you can beat Wal-Mart.

Formulate your plan. Take time with this, don't do it rushed and in a hurry and say "there. my plan, now I quit!" This could take days, weeks, months, in some cases, even years. It's gonna depend on what you know, what you want, what you think might happen and how much of a beating you will be willing to take. Beating Wal-Mart will be no epic victory that the whole world sees, most likely anyways. People have been trying to fight that fight for years and so far, Wal-Mart's still winning. So make it a personal victory. In 20 years, I want you to look back and be in a position that you can say "I, Chris Kroznuski, have personally beaten Wal-Mart." How? Be in a position where when something happens, you can still have a career. You can be in a place better than Wal-Mart and those like it. Sure, it might mean moving states, countries, continents, who knows, but no matter where you go, you will be worth something to somebody. No I'm not really taking about fame and fortune, but if you don't have to be working retail in 20 years time to make ends meet, you will have beaten Wal-Mart.

So take this time, relax your anger but harness it appropriately. Make your plan and decide whether quitting tomorrow will aid in you beating Wal-Mart. I personally don't think it is, but I'm not you and that will be for you to decide. Perhaps quitting tomorrow is. Perhaps your life will get better, but think of all the repercussions. What if you can't move in with your dad? How will your mom treat you? Will being at home all day listening to her verbally assault you be better than being assaulted at Wal-Mart? Will other employers see you as a quitter? Will you have the money to assist you should you go to school? Will you be able to get another job until then? Those are only a few things that you can't just go "aw hell, I'm American, I'll wing it" which is the vibe that I'm seriously getting off of you. Have you truly considered the consequences? Does it fit into your plan? Do you actually have a legit plan and timeline on paper somewhere, or are you simply just trying to grasp this vague concept of eventually you'll go to school (when is eventually) get a career and do the thing you love?

Granted, this does work for some people who have no clue what they're doing or where they're going or even what they actually want in life. If this is the case though, you have to find a way to explore that and to figure some of these things out. And don't be surprised if they're different than what you originally thought. I thought that I was going to be a film maker and spent all of high school and two years afterwords trying to accomplish that (albeit with no real plan) and instead, I'm actually going to study psychology starting in like 3 weeks. Who'd have thought?

The lesson in that is, be ready to adapt your plan, there's no shame in that. If your plan is too rigid, it probably won't work anyways. But don't be too flexible either otherwise it isn't a plan.

I guess ultimately take all of this as you will. Personally, I think this is what your mom should be trying to get across to you, as opposed to some angered "life sucks" statement that simply makes you hate her more. And don't be fooled by Facebook. You posting your rage on there and boasting to quit will indeed rally everyone on Facebook and make you feel like it's the right thing to do, but if it's all simply impulse based, does it really matter? What will you gain? You'll have lost a job, your familial interaction will be completely shot and you won't spend your time developing this video game, instead, you'll be looking for ways to not be at home and to be with other people because you won't be able to stand being with your family because every comment, every conversation will be geared around "well you had a job and this wouldn't be a problem if you hadn't quit it."

So before you take your action, make sure you're being smart about it, make sure that it really is worth quitting if you intend to do that. Be ready to accept the consequences no matter what you choose, because not quitting will have its consequences too. So think it over and don't rely on your Facebook friends for the answer, because they'll support you in anything and i mean anything. My aunt is several hundred pounds overweight, so she's on Facebook, home alone and feeling depressed because her hubby's at work. So what's she do? Bake a tray of brownies. Then she posts on Facebook, "those brownies are looking good, I might just eat the whole tray" and the responses: "go for it!" That's NOT the encouragement she needs yet despite the fact that eating a tray of brownies is clearly wrong, her Facebook friends are willing to support and encourage her to eat an entire tray of brownies. So before you get feeling all noble and the like because everyone's "supporting you in your cause," due note, they'll support any impulsive behaviour.

Well, I guess that's about it for now. Really read this over, you may either thank me or hate me, I don't much care either way, but I do know that it's pretty close to being accurate, or at the very least a half decent guide and definitely something that your parents should be trying to teach you, not some guy on the internet.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy Empty Re: A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-22, 13:17

PS: The word count is 2532 words, in case anyone was wondering Smile

And there's no TL;DR on purpose.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy Empty Re: A Concept Americans May Not Comprehend - For Krunchy

Post by JPB18 2011-08-22, 14:44

Actually, this speech should not go only for Krunchy, but for a lot of people...

The attitude of "Fuck it, I'm American" is not only bound to Americans. Most of the western world believes that way, with exception of some north-European countries...

Portugal, my country, is also feeling the effects of a similar attitude. Due to the support of the European Union, we turned a society with very little to one with too much in a nick of time... And that affected the way of thinking of many people who would just use their credit cards and get huge debts while life was easy.

Recently, countries like Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain have entered in a deep financial crisis that prompted the actions of several organizations like the IMF and the EU to force them to apply measures to control that crisis. Those measures will certainly reduce our life style, but there are still many people who don't understand it... the rich 80/90's are gone...

For now my parents can support most of my costs and even pay for school, so I'm not much worried, but I've a few back up plans in case the situation gets worse... That and a pretty big money savings to help me in case things get worse...

But other people just don't understand that and believe they'll be rich forever. Some even believe that their parents will be able to help them out on the long term. I don't. In fact I really hope I can get through University fast enough so I can get on with my plan soon enough. Most people don't have that objective, they just want to live the present, and hope that tomorrow is as good as today. That won't work in a human community with more than 6000 million inhabitants, on this small planet, where everyone is competing for survival.

Giving the example of Darkwing, in 20 years, if you're able to live as a significant peon of your society, and actually do what you dream of, you shall feel a lot better than working in a place like a Super Market chain, cleaning streets or anything of the type. Even better, if you're able to influence your society to see that what those super market chains do is wrong and help other people in the process, you might look at the mirror with pride, instead of disgust, of what you've acomplished.

And that victory is not obtainable with the attitude of “Fuck it, I can die before tomorrow” or “Fuck it, I'm american”. It's won with a lot of hard work and effort, not with conformism and lazyness...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-22, 15:00

Very well put J, I couldn't agree more. To further on the economic thing, we (Canada) came out of the recession much better than the rest of the western world. Why? We planned ahead...waaay ahead. We redesigned our banking system in the late 30s as a result of the Great Depression, in an attempt to never let something like that happen again. As it turns out, it allowed us to pull through much stronger through this recession (which I hear talk of perhaps a double dip?) than anyone else in the western world. Though by comparison of older times it may not have been great, but people for the most part still have jobs and a lot of people who did get laid off through the recession, were able to be rehired once it was "over." Again, a result of planning ahead.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-08-22, 17:18

Darkwing wrote:Reading your Facebook leads me to believe much as I do about many Americans which is this: plan for the future.

Didn't have to read any further than that, because I completely agree with you. Though on account of our parents, we never really had to plan for anything: most everything we ever needed or wanted was provided for us by our parents. We don't really see the need for planning. Me, I basically want to spend the least amount possible and just save everything I earn through little jobs in college so I can get on a fast start straight out of college/grad school. Get a good grounding in international law (which apparently is going to be the next big thing) or take the conservative route and become a CPA and make quite possibly 80k right out of the chute. Only now have I really felt the pressure mount on me. I need to do internships, become a leader in clubs that I join, do service, stay in shape, balance social life and schoolwork (almost mutually exclusive,) and generally make a choice on what I want to do with my life. Never before have I had to consider so many factors. I must say, first day of college in and of itself has been a huge wake up call. It's just a shame most people are just here for the parties and don't really consider their futures.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2011-08-22, 18:10

I read, and it seems like I have some work to do...

I really haven't felt any "pressure" like Philly described. All medical interns I've talked to have just told me to get really good grades in college, and those will help with any occupation.
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-08-22, 18:32

And I'm basically forced to get good grades. 3.2 GPA minimum requirement to get into the accounting major after 4 semesters. Basically a B+ average :/
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Destral 2011-08-22, 20:02

I cant thank everyone enough for their input. Ive calmed down a bit more now after doing a bit of job hunting today and Im going to think long and hard about what I can do to get to college, which is currently my long term goal. I know this is not going to be easy but Im also going to try to apply for other jobs as well, despite how bad the economy is. But I will stay at Wal Mart at least until I get a new job, and even if I dont, Im still going to go to college next year. Currently I am learning to drive so that should help me a bit too (drivers license and car is my short term goal right now, hunting for another job is just icing on the cake if I can get that done).
Destral
Destral
Number 1
Number 1

Male Number of posts : 1792
Location : Im not behind you. Dont look back there. Seriously, dont. Thats a bear. Im in front of you.
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://www.earth-link-origins.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-23, 00:33

Philly Homer wrote:
Darkwing wrote:Reading your Facebook leads me to believe much as I do about many Americans which is this: plan for the future.

Didn't have to read any further than that, because I completely agree with you. Though on account of our parents, we never really had to plan for anything: most everything we ever needed or wanted was provided for us by our parents. We don't really see the need for planning. Me, I basically want to spend the least amount possible and just save everything I earn through little jobs in college so I can get on a fast start straight out of college/grad school. Get a good grounding in international law (which apparently is going to be the next big thing) or take the conservative route and become a CPA and make quite possibly 80k right out of the chute. Only now have I really felt the pressure mount on me. I need to do internships, become a leader in clubs that I join, do service, stay in shape, balance social life and schoolwork (almost mutually exclusive,) and generally make a choice on what I want to do with my life. Never before have I had to consider so many factors. I must say, first day of college in and of itself has been a huge wake up call. It's just a shame most people are just here for the parties and don't really consider their futures.

A-BIack_Man wrote:I read, and it seems like I have some work to do...

I really haven't felt any "pressure" like Philly described. All medical interns I've talked to have just told me to get really good grades in college, and those will help with any occupation.

It is kind of weird if you think about it really. Basically Americans aren't instilling ideals for long term "success" if you will in their children. It seems that if an American parent is stuck in a shitty, low wage job, they don't really do much to encourage their children to do otherwise, instead, just sum it up to, yep, this is what life is, get used to it, or, well, if you get lucky, win the lottery or something, then you can be big. And it's reflected in how poor the American economy is now. Basically, it's the result of bad to no planning by a lot of people for many decades.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2011-08-23, 21:02

In America, nobody cares. All anyone- the government, CEO's of big time companies, the middle class, the people with absolutely shitty lives and there's nothing that they can do about it- all they care about is more money in their pockets. And it is just sad, walking around seeing all of this shit(Especially in Detroit) mostly because of a bunch of dumbfucks at the top that already make a shitload of money a year, trying to get as much money as possible, and starting a snowball effect on everyone else losing money left and right. A perfect example of this is my uncle, who was employed by the auto company GM right after high school, and never complained too much about his job; but then the economy shit happened mostly because of the dumbfuck politicians, GM lost too much money, and a shitload of people got laid off, including my uncle, who ended up taking a job that he hated, driving Armored cars and fixing ATM machines, just to survive. He was treated worse than shit and about a week ago got fired because he wouldn't spend $10,000 to get some license thing or something so he could continue working there, which he didn't want to gave anyway. So instead he lost his job and got a black eye from a fight with a coworker.

TL;DR: Don't you just hate walls? No
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-24, 01:50

That;s unfortunate, most of the GM employees in Canada who were laid off, got their jobs back several months later
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-08-24, 02:00

See, in America, corporations are perfectly happy to cut all their employees because the labor's way cheaper in Asia. Given the ridiculously high corporation taxes, I can totally see why they do this, but it also hurts our economy in giving the jobs away.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-24, 02:10

And this is why I'm glad Canada had the National Policy all those years. Even now, though it's not been in effect for some time, we're used to relying on ourselves to produce and supply our own goods if we have to. Granted it's not perfect and we do a lot of outsourcing (note that it's usually the more American corporations take over, the more outsourcing we do)
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-08-25, 16:57

America is falling and nothing can stop them, It's happened before such as the british empire, the spanish and french empires. They all fell from there "super power" status as they thought they were invincible. america has the same problem. I find thta alot of americans think they'll be alright simply because there american, they think just because there the most influential country in the world at the moment that everybody wants to support them.

You guys import way to much stuff, you GDP barely covers your import costs and goverment spending, you need to move from being a counsuming country to a more producing country, heck you could even join canada and maybe mexico and try to form like and North american version of the EU.

I was also watching a show on BBC world the other day about how america wont be able to keep it's current economic structure past about 2020 as there annual GDP will be lower than there import cost thus bankroupting them. Also oil is being considered to be sold in Yen or possibly the euro as they seem to be currency's that are large enough and stable enough (i dobt the euro with the problems concerning portugal and greece) and i'm sorry to say but if there economy does go that way most americans with educations may have to move to the eurozone or japan heck even russia once they start pumping out the oil they can seel it cheaper than the us as they could just pipe it to china which is becoming the largest econonmy but they waste it all on military hardware.
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-25, 17:00

Which means we should all probably be very, very frightened right about now
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-08-25, 17:04

As long as other countries stop relying on americas economy like the UK and other EU zones we should all be ok
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-25, 17:05

Not if ol Chinaroo decides to go to war though. I do believe I heard the US is in massive amounts of debt to China
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-08-25, 17:06

I'd say that is an unbalanced view, Lee. To begin with, since the creation of NAFTA, trade within the continent has increased dramatically.

The Yen a stable currency? Maybe the renminbi, but not the yen. Japan has all sorts of economic problems, such as deflation.

The USA has significant reasons not to sell its oil to China, basic economics being one.

The USA will remain an important nation regardless of its position in the hierarchy. I do not foresee a brain drain taking away all its intelligencia (which is probably far greater than Europe's, btw.

Last edited by Shemuel on 2011-08-25, 17:15; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrote stale, not stable)
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-08-25, 17:08

You make a good point shem but most of that what i said is from a economies show with a panel of business people and economic forecasters that work with goverments.
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-08-25, 17:16

Fair enough. Razz

I just think their views may be a little overexaggerated.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-08-25, 17:20

Possibly this sems like worst cse scenario but i'm no expert
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2011-08-27, 17:52

The media is too biased and corrupted in the first place. The so-called "experts" aren't speaking their own opinion, they're speaking the opinion of some rich guy that paid them to.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down