Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trolling - We're All Experts Now

+6
Galaxy-Scarface
A-BIack_Man
Gamerang
Shemuel
JPB18
Darkwing
10 posters

Go down

Trolling - We're All Experts Now Empty Trolling - We're All Experts Now

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-17, 15:37

So let's discuss this phenomena known as trolling. Obviously with the advent of the internet and essentially the distribution of "free knowledge," we all became experts on everything. I mean hell, if I want to learn about quantum physics, or at least pretend like I know something on it, the information's out there. But this suddenly had a massive effect on our psyches, one, our trust levels have plummeted, I mean how many professionals do we even trust these days on a topic? We're very quick to jump and criticize and challenge someone's opinion and on what basis? The fact that we're now "experts" because of the internet? And obviously this leads us to the topic of trolling. It's pretty obvious that trolling is a form of narcism in a way, basically, I need attention so I'm going to be an idiot. But my question is though, who are these anonymous experts? Are they your classroom idiots that nobody likes? Or are they even as far up as respectable people?
Discuss!
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Trolling - We're All Experts Now Empty Re: Trolling - We're All Experts Now

Post by JPB18 2011-08-17, 16:15

Wikipédia, the Free Encyclopedia wrote:Definition of troll:
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Lets face it, wikipédia does help on trolling a little bit... For example, some dude, with no knowledge of Quantum Physics (your example), but start a discussion with a real scientist who is working on Quantum Computing or wormholes (example)... Regular dudes will just read it out of context, and think what they just read is an absolute truth, while the 'expert' will surelly interpret what is read and use it like a real argument...

Is the regular dude a troll? Maybe, if he continues to insist that he is absolutely right and even insults the expert who spent several years on university studying the subject...

But lets face it... Internet anonymousity does contribute a lot to Trolling...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-17, 16:41

Yeah, I'm just curious to know how many "good citizens" are actually trolls on the internet
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-08-17, 17:05

Well, I think JPB is basically right in that it's the anonymity. Although the carrot is different to reality- any evidence of society being more fleeting, there is no longer any stick - social exclusion, punishment.

There appears to be a multitude of places on the internet that could provide a superficial rendition of acquaintances to be an audience, reducing the trepidation for someone to say what they want. Why be so guarded when those who you regard as your peers can be replaced so easily?

And of course there are many places where there is no sanction for bad behaviour. 4chan is a perfect example of such a place, and the behaviour there is notorious. On our sister site, vexxiang, the lack of an administrator has meant it is impossible to remove undesirables. In real life, there probably would be repercussions for your actions - they could provoke to the point of getting beaten up, and almost certainly being known within whichever community they frequent as a bad egg, excluded from discussion.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-08-17, 17:56

4chan is a website which thrieves around trolling... Vexxiang, unfortunatelly drifted in the wrong way, and I believe we should have DJ changing credentials to someone responsible again...

But what internet is missing is some limited censorship (at least create rules for the internet that go beyond the website development, search engines and protocols)...

Youtube is another place where trolls thrive due to lack of rules...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamerang 2011-08-17, 19:32

JPB18 wrote:Lets face it, wikipédia does help on trolling a little bit... For example, some dude, with no knowledge of Quantum Physics (your example), but start a discussion with a real scientist who is working on Quantum Computing or wormholes (example)... Regular dudes will just read it out of context, and think what they just read is an absolute truth, while the 'expert' will surelly interpret what is read and use it like a real argument...

Wikipedia on things such as Quantum Physics usually gives you information in contexts that cannot be understood, at least on first look by the normal human being. An argument between an actual Scientist working on it and a person who actually read the article would either make some weird remarks and quotes in an attempt to confuse the scientist or will just nod there head and agree with the scientist in an attempt to prove they know about the subject.
Gamerang
Gamerang
Cadet
Cadet

Male Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2010-03-30

http://www.flashtrek.motionsforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-17, 23:53

Or at the very least, give highly critical and inappropriate remarks on the subject and the more the scientist debates, the more the troller argues/attacks.

On that note, should trolling be considered harassment and therefore perhaps even criminal? This is of course ignoring that enforcement of such a thing would be next to impossible, but the principle of it, is it criminal?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2011-08-18, 03:03

Criminal, no, but people should recognize trolls and ignore them rather than argue with them. There may be so many because it's easier to troll than to try and reason with people. And yes, anonymity contributes a lot.
To answer your question DW, I believe that anyone can be a troll, as a lot of people keep their online lives seperate from their real life.
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2011-08-18, 11:52

My View: If someone's on the Internet trolling, they're most likely doing it either for the "lulz" or because they are actually a dumbass IRL. If you can't ignore things that trolls say and you take trolls personally, then you shouldn't be on the Internet.

Also, Censorship on the internet would NOT be good. Many people consider the Internet the past place where you can have Free Speech(Sadly, they are mostly true) It's people's own problem if they get offended.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-18, 11:56

But on that argument, 20+ years ago we didn't have the internet. So what, is it such a big deal to be civilized and polite instead of wasting your time on trying to harass others on the internet? I know people don't want censorship, heck even I don't to a degree, but were things so bad before? Or have we just gotten all so lazy that it doesn't matter anymore?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamerang 2011-08-18, 14:11

People do it because they find it funny to annoy other people.
Gamerang
Gamerang
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-18, 14:19

What about the bully argument? Does that psychology apply here? People are insecure with themselves, therefore with the anonymity of the internet, they find it easy to "bully" others online which in turn makes them feel better about themselves as they're lowering the rest of humanity beneath them, or at the very least, "on their level?"
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2011-08-18, 20:39

Well that depends on who you're getting trolled by. If it's someone from school, work, ect. via Facebook, then perhaps you can be offended, but I personally go on the Internet to escape life, not to add on to it, and that's what the victim in the above case should be doing.

If you're getting trolled by someone who lives 10,000 miles away from you on a forum, then you should know that this person does not know you in real life, and what he says will not affect you in your life outside the Internet.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-19, 00:14

I think you underestimate the power of language though GS. It doesn't matter who says it really, if the right thing is said the right way, one phrase can be enough to change everything, whether it's legitimate or not.

Also, in my above post, I'm not so much referring to a consistent troller who picks on you personally, I'm talking more like you go on a blog or something, there's an article and everyone posts dumbass shit and then perhaps you post something that required an ounce of brain power and they just say more dumbass shit.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-08-19, 04:08

On 4chan? Yes. Most of them are lifeless basement dwelling losers with nothing better to do than troll people by h4x0r1ng them (hurrrr i 4r l3giun durrr) for their contact info and fucking around with them, and post ''buuhuuu I'm a 24 year old virgin never even hugged I have no friends and I'm fat why is that bawwwwwwwwwwww'' threads.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamerang 2011-08-20, 12:01

Darkwing wrote:What about the bully argument? Does that psychology apply here? People are insecure with themselves, therefore with the anonymity of the internet, they find it easy to "bully" others online which in turn makes them feel better about themselves as they're lowering the rest of humanity beneath them, or at the very least, "on their level?"

That usually works in reverse. I have been.. I wouldn't say cyber bullied but various idiots who start arguments for nothing. In the end it always ended up them 'losing' the battle, so to speak.
Gamerang
Gamerang
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by rrps700 2011-08-22, 08:32

I think everyone who posted on here is weird . jk example troll
rrps700
rrps700
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 757
Location : Lat (WGS84) N54:58:59 (54.982953) Long (WGS84) W1:29:27 (-1.490760) LR NZ326654 m
Registration date : 2010-04-11

http://rrps700.zxq.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-22, 11:13

But also a truth in this instance Wink
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-08-22, 17:19

Everyone on this forum is weird.

Except me and DW. And black man.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2011-08-22, 18:05

awww yeah, not wierd.

Trolling - We're All Experts Now Fistpump1
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-08-22, 19:08

Philly Homer wrote:Everyone on this forum is weird.

Except me and DW. And black man.

Yeah... Right... I believe you...

Trolling - We're All Experts Now I-cant-believe-demotivational-poster-1235429984
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2011-08-23, 20:51

Correction: Every single person that has ever registered on this forum will always be weird until the end of time.

Wink
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-27, 13:42

Pretty much. There's just something about us Razz
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by leewatson1 2011-08-27, 21:04

WIERD!!!! *eye twitch* I'M NOT WIERD!!!!!!! LEAVE MY CATS ALONE!!!!!!!!!
leewatson1
leewatson1
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3432
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2011-08-28, 12:36

Kitties, yum Smile
Darkwing
Darkwing