Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

+13
Destral
bodysurfnj
me naam is m
JPB18
Shemuel
Jerome Star
Roger Smith
Darkwing
Galaxy-Scarface
Earthdeath
Jtull
Philly Homer
Thingy
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? Empty What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

Post by Thingy 2009-06-05, 17:51

I was recently looking at high school courses here in vallentuna and after some hard thinking, i decided to take the military path( because it looks more fun than all the other education and career paths). And as most of you dont have a full time job yet and are still in education, i'm wondering what everyone sees themselves doing in 10 years or so?

Personally i think i'll be an army officer either here in sweden or doing foreign service (like afghanistan, chad, kosovo and so on)
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? Empty Re: What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

Post by Philly Homer 2009-06-05, 18:38

I personally see myself going down three paths: I'll probably be either a lawyer, a doctor, or a session drummer.

The former two are boring as hell and I really want to be a drummer, but my parents don't support this decision because they want me to get a "real" job. What they don't know is that being a session player and teaching on the side does make a decent amount of money, and it's stable and can't be outsourced or anything like that.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

What do you see yourself doing in 10 years? Empty Re: What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?

Post by Thingy 2009-06-05, 18:43

I think you should go with drummer, it's always going to be needed and, unlike lawyers, you wont have to help rapists, murderers and other criminals go free for money. All parents want their kids to get a boring job, get married, get a house in the suburbs and have kids. But i think the ''standard'' way of life is too boring and not productive enough. Which is why i chose to be an officer, you'll have alot of excitement and you'll be saving lifes every day. Plus if something goes wrong, you'll be able to fight for what you believe in instead of hide in your basement
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2009-06-05, 19:27

I plan to either be a speaker ( witch is something I love doing if I know what I am going to say) or a electronics technician or a teacher. speaking is hard to get good at and electronics I have a natural talent and teaching is just really fun.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5308
Location : How do you want me to put it? 6 figure grid reference? Codernates? 4 dimentional spacial codernates?
Registration date : 2007-12-04

http://twitter.com/#!/jbctull

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-05, 19:37

I see myself in a wooden box somewhere in the ground.Ah well.
Either that or i get promoted to a general.Still prefer to be a FM.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7919
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-06-05, 20:09

i will be in college in 10 years.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-05, 20:16

i haven't a frickin clue where i'll be. probably in a dumpster somewhere
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-05, 22:08

Or sneaking in to view the newest Trek movie at a cinema.
huh..10 years ago i thought i would be a lower rank, if not dead.Ah well, i contradicted myself.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2009-06-05, 22:55

good I love doing that. lol
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Location : How do you want me to put it? 6 figure grid reference? Codernates? 4 dimentional spacial codernates?

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-05, 23:26

Hm... 10 years from now...

*doodleedoo fantasy blur cut*

Year: 2019

*RS enters stage left, takes his place at his keyboard to the sound of cheers*

"I love you, Roger, I want your babies!"

"Thank you, darling, but I don't have any."

"No, I mean I want to make babies with you!"

"Huh? Like a baby doll? Like a toy?"

other guy: "HEEEYY! Start the show Roger!"

"Shut up! I want to hear this pretty lady out. I'm obsessive-compulsive, haven't you heard?"

"I want to MAKE babies with you. You know, through sexual intercourse!"

"Oh! I get it now. That's nice." -awkward. Very awkward. Still I don't start the show. Thinking over the best course of action to balance my getting with this girl with the putting on a successful show, so that in........

*angry guy comes up and crushes Roger's hands with a chair. Now, no longer being able to play, he has no way to support himself. He is left lonely and loveless. Yayy!*

*doodleedoo back to present.*

Whoa. Trippy. I'm going to go adjust my socks.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Male Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerome Star 2009-06-06, 00:05

@Roger: That's exactly how I'd react in that situation. XD

@others: Well, let's see... In ten years I will /hopefully/ be in Japan, already fluent in their language and culture, working in scripting or general gameplay programming for a video game company like HAL Industries. Or I'll be working at an anime company as a voice actor (for those American characters they show in animes ;-) ). Or if things don't work out well at all, I'll still be working at the local noodle shop. XD

I might become a linguist/translator for other companies and such too. And if I start a second two (or four) years of college by the time I get there, I'll have learned Archaeology and would be the on-site photographer at a number of archeology sites. I may even get to do a lot of travel! =D

But in all likelihood, I'll end up on the streets like DJ and ED. XP And probably not the streets in good old Tokyo either, like I hope. I'll probably end up fending for myself in Anchorage, Alaska, where my family plans on moving in a couple of years. And if I can't fly from there to Japan and start my life in Tokyo, chances are that I'll be stuck without a paycheck with only a small cardboard box protecting me against the cold...

BUT, I'm going to try to be optimistic and ignore that possibility right now! ^^

By the way, if it doesn't work out for me in Japan, I'm moving to Canada... Or England, but Canada would seem easier to reach from there. X3
Jerome Star
Jerome Star
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 711

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-06, 00:53

Roger Smith wrote:Hm... 10 years from now...

*doodleedoo fantasy blur cut*

*RS enters stage left, takes his place at his keyboard to the sound of cheers*

"I love you, Roger, I want your babies!"

"Thank you, darling, but I don't have any."

"No, I mean I want to make babies with you!"

"Huh? Like a baby doll? Like a toy?"

other guy: "HEEEYY! Start the show Roger!"

"Shut up! I want to hear this pretty lady out. I'm obsessive-compulsive, haven't you heard?"

"I want to MAKE babies with you. You know, through sexual intercourse!"

"Oh! I get it now. That's nice." -awkward. Very awkward. Still I don't start the show. Thinking over the best course of action to balance my getting with this girl with the putting on a successful show, so that in........

*angry guy comes up and crushes Roger's hands with a chair. Now, no longer being able to play, he has no way to support himself. He is left lonely and loveless. Yayy!*

*doodleedoo back to present.*

Whoa. Trippy. I'm going to go adjust my socks.

you are one messed up dude, dude
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2009-06-06, 03:41

indeed I shall agree DW.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-06, 13:36

Well, I wasn't being serious... but I guess my imagination could be described as messed-up. Although DJ's was at least 11 more degrees messed up...

Darkjedi wrote:With me, it's either I turn out like a good little JW boy, or....

*dream cloud appears above DJ's head*

*DJ walks through front door happily*

"Why are you so happy today?"

"Oh, I just had another affair behind your back."

"WHAT? When we got married, you said you were going to be faithful, and honest!"

"Well, I decided to be honest..... But hey! I got something to cheer you up!"

"It had better not be another box of puppies!"

*DJ rips the box open*

"It's a box of puppies!"

*DJ's wife starts getting mad*

"Derek, I should have never marr.........."

"Hey kids, look! I depantsed your mom again!"

"HAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! I got u!!!"

:dumb laugh:

"Can you act like an adult for once!!!??"

*DJ hears none of his wife's words, since he's running into the back room*

"Hey, who wants to jump off of the roof?"

*Children shout "Me! Me! Me!"*

*DJ's dream bubble fades away, and he then shudders*
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-06-06, 14:44

Well, I may well do a history degree, but after that is anyone's guess.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2009-06-06, 16:27

In ten years...

a) In a big company working with their pc's
b) have my own pc company
c) work for the government to hack other governments pc's... (that would be Dj's dream job, I bet)
d) working for the government taking care of their pc's

personal life:

a) have a wife
b) have a one year old kid
c) joking at some retards who used to make fun of me...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-06, 18:04

In all seriousness, in 10 years I'll probably have graduated from University, at this point in what field I have no idea, and I'll have more than likely received a doctorate or even post-doctorate degree, as I feel as if as long as I have the wherewithal, I'm going to get as much out of what's available in terms of education as possible. If I end up liking academic life enough, maybe I'll settle down as a professor eventually. After I cure a number of diseases and write the novel of the century.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-06, 18:12

yes... one person can write the novel of the century and cure a number of diseases... No, seriously, you wont. You might help in the development of cures, but you'll be in a big team. And the novel of the century is something you can forget, there are thousands of novels, and only one can be the best
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-06-06, 20:14

yes, it is extremely hard to write a bestseller novel, let alone one that is the undisputed greatest novel.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-06, 20:32

hell, writing a good selling novel is hard enough. And there are thousands of good selling novels to compete with and hundreds of bestsellers
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-07, 00:39

Yes, undoubtedly so; I was being facetious. I just don't know what I want to do yet, yet I want to do so much.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-07, 00:41

i kind of want to go to bed
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2009-06-07, 01:36

I wanna be a teacher but I can only teach people that want to be taught. so being a speaker would be good because I just teach and they learn if they want to. and there is no marking. Wink
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 10:54

you cant teach if you're not some kind of teacher or parent. If you want to be a speaker for some company or something, you wont be teaching anything.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-07, 12:08

Thingy wrote:you cant teach if you're not some kind of teacher or parent.

ummmm, where exactly do you go to school?
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 12:16

here in vallentuna, why?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-06-07, 12:28

ahhh, that might explain it...ok, no it doesn't. Here, not all teachers have kids and families and etc.
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 12:34

huh? you mean they dont all have families of their own or dont have families and kids to teach? because that's not what i meant, i meant you'll be teaching your kid stuff even if you're not a teacher but a parent with any job.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-07, 14:38

Darkwing wrote:i kind of want to go to bed

The immediate present is probably the most important when it comes to thinking about what you want to do...

and @Thingy, what language is school taught in there? Your English is very good.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 15:09

swedish except the english lesson, but i'm the best english student in class. I also speak german and fluent egyptian. Egyptian is an easier version of arabic, so i can speak OK arabic too.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-07, 18:29

Wow, that's great! Here in America students aren't really encouraged to pursue many languages. I've stuck with just one for 5 years: French. I'd like to learn some latin and other romance languages... maybe in 10 years I'll be a linguist.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 18:54

you're not? we have to choose one and learn it in the last 3 years of basic school (it's the one before high school) and are encouraged to continue it in high school. But the arabic is because i'm half egyptian.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-07, 19:51

I had to learn German to do a training course in Germany.As well as Russian and a little Korean (getting Important these days)
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 19:53

why? it's not like you're going to sing them to death. Unless you're celine dion. She's good at singing people to death. Really good. You're not her, right?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-07, 20:01

Last time i checked, no.
But i need them for things like field translations, Spying and various others.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-06-07, 20:02

heheh.

lemme see...

i can read, write, listen and understand Dutch, (duh) English, (better than some native speakers in fact) French, German and Spanish, although Spanish has fallen back the last three years.
i do also read Latin. Furthermore i can decipher Portuguese and Italian when reading a text.
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-07, 20:06

Quite a list.
But that's why i usually don't learn to many languages, it takes more time to learn it then just kill those who ask me something i don't understand.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-07, 20:31

Thingy wrote:you're not? we have to choose one and learn it in the last 3 years of basic school (it's the one before high school) and are encouraged to continue it in high school. But the arabic is because i'm half egyptian.

Yes, it must be strange to understand for someone with a European sensibility. American schools, being ignorant as they are, require and recommend only one foreign language to study.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-07, 20:56

Actually that's the same here too.Although it was between french and German.Wasn't a hard choice.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2009-06-07, 21:25

Why are we talking about languages again?

And I speak Chinese and English (obviously) and am taking German in school right now. Looks like I made the right choice, cause everyone hates the Spanish teachers.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-07, 21:28

Hey! it's the same thing here! our spanish teacher is useless, my friend in spanish says all they do is watch spanish music videos and write essays in swedish
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-07, 23:02

That's ridiculous.

My french teacher this year was kind of disorganized... maybe it's something about the eccentricities of foreign teachers that keep them from teaching plainly and simply...

Getting back to 10 years from now, I'm feeling an international relations/journalism/diplomacy vibe coming on.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by bodysurfnj 2009-06-08, 17:44

I hate languages I studied spanish for a couple of years failed it terribly and now I have to study Latin, Im still bad at Latin but Im not graded on knowing the language but I am graded on how much effort I put into learning it. So here it a list of my languages,
English, English, English, English, English and I almost forgot English... Not to mention several curse words that I picked up from the restaurant I work at.

Iin ten years I see myself with a doctorate in Aerospace Engineering, and I would be working in NASA.
bodysurfnj
bodysurfnj
Passenger
Passenger

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-06-08, 18:21

bodysurfnj wrote:Iin ten years I see myself with a doctorate in Aerospace Engineering, and I would be working in NASA.
if i were you, i'd learn russian RIGHT NOW if you want to0 do that.

oh, and most of my spanish teachers were quite awesome. Very Happy

...and in ten years... i don't know really.
(web)comic artist?
game designer?
hobo?
i seriously don't know.
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-06-08, 18:46

Well, as far as universities are concerned, I can use Welsh as a foreign modern language
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-08, 21:02

Wow, can you speak and write it fluently? I remember reading that it's not even that pervasive in Wales anymore... and that's it's continually lessening in frequency of speech, even among those who can speak it.
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-06-11, 20:59

Of course he can speak Welsh, he is Welsh.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Smith 2009-06-11, 21:17

As far as I know hardly all Welsh speak the language... only about 20%.

Not trying to be an arse throwing around statistics, but take a look at this: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/CCI/nugget.asp?ID=447&Pos=6&ColRank=1&Rank=192
Roger Smith
Roger Smith
Cadet
Cadet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-06-12, 05:20

Well I'm not completely fluent, as I had to learn it. Both of my parents don't speak Welsh, as they are from an area where Welsh basically isn't spoken.
However, Welsh isn't diminishing any more. As the second graph in the link you provided shows, there is a younger generation coming through that has had to speak Welsh, as schools are being forced to teach just in Welsh.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-06-12, 05:21

ummm, no offence but isnt that kind of unnecessary? it's only spoken in a small part of wales and no other country speaks it. why learn it instead of something more useful for the future?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next