Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future plans

+5
Philly Homer
Shemuel
Destral
Vedic
Thingy
9 posters

Go down

Future plans Empty Future plans

Post by Thingy 2011-03-16, 19:52

Do you have plans for your future?

I do. And they're pretty ambitious. First, I'm going to move to Canada temporarily to study there. I'll try to get a permanent citizenship there after my studies, if I can't, I'll just get some work experience under my belt and try again till they accept me.

Remember that land in Heliopolis? I'm going to sell it off and start a company with the profits, not sure what kind, but probably an indie game developer or restaurant or something...

No idea what I will do after that... Or between becoming a citizen in Canada and selling the land. Probably explore the world, preferably with a loved one. I don't want kids though. Too annoying, and they pretty much anchor you to one place, making you unable to explore the world or pretty much do anything fun one you've got them.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Future plans Empty Re: Future plans

Post by Thingy 2011-03-16, 19:54

Oh, and are you planning to travel? Maybe move somewhere (kind of?) far away? Like another state/territory/province or even another country?

Double oh. And I'm going to learn languages. You know, Persian (I've always wanted to go to Iran), Spanish, Italian, all that stuff. And cooking. I really enjoy cooking, but I'm not very good at it. Yet.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic 2011-03-16, 19:59

I plan to become an 3D Artist, but I don't see that really happening, I suck to much at 3d Art. So I'm more likely to continue my life long ambitious of joining the Army.
Vedic
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1769
Registration date : 2010-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Destral 2011-03-16, 20:58

I'm probably heading to New York City to study Video Game Design and music, probably study the core aspects of 3d Design and Animation as well. Then maybe I'll go freelance and develop my own games and music and sell them to companies. Maybe I'll travel to Canada. I dunno, all I really want right now is to just get the heck out of where I am now and into a city where jobs are in abundance so I dont have to work for Wal-Mart anymore.
Destral
Destral
Number 1
Number 1

Male Number of posts : 1792
Location : Im not behind you. Dont look back there. Seriously, dont. Thats a bear. Im in front of you.
Registration date : 2009-03-01

http://www.earth-link-origins.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2011-03-16, 21:12

Join me in Canada! Think of all the maple syrup you could eat! I'M TALKING MOUNTAINS OF MAPLE SYRUP, MAN, FUCKIN' MOUNTAINS! MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!

Seriously though, you should go to Canada or Cali. That's where all the action and low taxes are at.

Oh, and if that indie developer thing ever gets off the ground and I still don't have a 3D artist, I'm hunting you down Then killing you and drinking your blood to absorb your 3D skills. If it gets off the ground. Probably never will though Rolling Eyes

I'll probably end up working at a large company or making some other kind of company... But hey, a man can dream.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-03-16, 22:48

I'd like to live somewhere near or in rural environment, and don't see myself emigrating.
- although I would love the idea of visiting Europe, especially the north and the east. I can dream of engorging myself on culture, but that is unrealistic (especially the bit about the Ukrainian harem).
I'd like for my job to be vaguely related to my degree (physical geography), perhaps conservation/land management/Environment Agency (government). However, as long as I get job happiness and have enough to provide for my family, I don't care what.
FOOD IS A MUST. I love cooking and have to feed myself at the moment - I'm enjoying it. Not the budgeting however - I eat a crazy amount and despite buying cheap on everything but occasional meat (free-range), food tends to bulge out my £50/week.
I can't say when I'd like kids because I can't say when (if?) I'll meet a wife and what our personal circumstances are. Too much crystal ball.

TL;DR - have own life to sort out
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-03-16, 23:02

I honestly am at a crossroads in my life. I'll explain.

On one hand, I can follow what my parents want me to do and spent basically 6 years of my life in college and in law school to get a JD and to become a lawyer. Clearly a stable career given the need for lawyers all the time, but it's also menial work. At least it pays extremely well, though I'm not sure I'd want to do it.

On the other hand, I could just become a musician. I enjoy music so very much that I don't even care if I live on the street in a rat-infested box, starving and struggling to make ends meet. The thing is, musicians always have the worst of it. Either you become successful due to the luck of a good record company signing you or you fail miserably, playing shows at bars every night until you're 30 and you give up. The whole scenario is completely based on luck and not skill (because really, bands like Nickelback earn millions while Koji and the glut of good pop punk bands struggle to make ends meet.) Of course, I could also be a studio guy and an audio engineer, but I need a house with a large basement and money to buy recording equipment to be able to have that endeavor come true.

It's a quandary. Believe me, I would love nothing more than to just pick the second and say "screw you!" to my parents. It's not that easy. They're paying my college tuitions and shit and I feel like I'm wasting their time if I become a musician. What do you guys think?

Oh, and I'm supposed to be writing a 15 paragraph research paper for English that's due tomorrow. I haven't even started. I feel good about myself right about now Very Happy
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by A-BIack_Man 2011-03-17, 00:09

If you want an opinion, I've got a few. why not go for them both? get a degree for a falback, play some gigs in the meantime, make a little music. if you do that though, your musical career will start out slowly, and would have to keep school a priority.
I think you should go for the musician if you know a little group of people that would really like to go for it with you; a reliable group that won't back out if things get hard. Still, you've gotta know your limits. Honestly, if you end up scraping by with barely enough to eat, then maybe it's time to move on. Or if you happen to get married, it might be time to settle down.
if you take the music jobs, you might see disappointment in your parents at first, but I'm sure they wouldn't be mad or anything later. from what i understand, most parents support their kids.

but that's just me, there are plenty of other jobs or options out there that I couldn't think of. being a studio guy wouldn't be a bad idea, you don't have to buy your own equipment, and could always work at another record company.
A-BIack_Man
A-BIack_Man

Male Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 2009-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2011-03-17, 03:54

@ Alka

If this is really something you want to do, do it. But just make sure you're dedicated completely before you dive in, and start living in a van. And yeah, have a fallback. If not a degree like thingy said, I would suggest becoming a professional butt-wiper like me, so that you can get a job anywhere, and make at least decent money. (hardly enough, but it's still a guaranteed job) 3 week course, and you've got your CNA. And the class is so easy, it's all just common sense really. After the first couple of days, you'll become almost fully desensitized to all bodily parts and discharges. I didn't think I could do it at first, and no I'm a pro. So try it out if you get desperate.

And if you want a cushie job in the medical field, go to school for a couple years and become a physical therapist assistant. Pretty good money, and it's easy as heck. (No poop involved) Not quite as stable as becoming an LPN or RN, but much easier. (Not quite as stable, because nurses are more necessary than therapist assistants. And, you'll always be under a PT. So, it's even more important to not burn bridges with anyone, because there aren't that many PTs. Well, compared to nurses.)

IDK, just putting that out there for you.

I'll probably apply for LPN school in a little bit here (AKA, applying to hell. Really, even doctors will get you a sympathy pat on the back if they find out your going to nursing school.). And I'll probably get my RN a little more down the road too. (more hell)

Thingy wrote:
Seriously though, you should go to Canada or Cali. That's where all the action and low taxes are at.
Cali? Ok, NOO! DO NOT MOVE TO CALI!!! The job situation there SUCKS! Seriously, they got hit hard.

Shemuel wrote:I'd like to live somewhere near or in rural environment, and don't see myself emigrating.
- although I would love the idea of visiting Europe, especially the north and the east. I can dream of engorging myself on culture, but that is unrealistic (especially the bit about the Ukrainian harem).
I'd like for my job to be vaguely related to my degree (physical geography), perhaps conservation/land management/Environment Agency (government). However, as long as I get job happiness and have enough to provide for my family, I don't care what.
FOOD IS A MUST. I love cooking and have to feed myself at the moment - I'm enjoying it. Not the budgeting however - I eat a crazy amount and despite buying cheap on everything but occasional meat (free-range), food tends to bulge out my £50/week.
I can't say when I'd like kids because I can't say when (if?) I'll meet a wife and what our personal circumstances are. Too much crystal ball.

TL;DR - have own life to sort out

Seriously, move to Oklahoma. We have everything you're looking for! OKC isn't dense, just geographically large. We have a lot of rural land out here. And it get really pretty if you live up in Tulsa. Actually, screw OKC, move to Tulsa. Not quite as big, but much nicer. Oh, Oklahoma is probably the best cheap state to live in. It's growing like crazy, so we have TONS of jobs! Also, the chicks here might try to rape you with that accent of yours. Just sayin...

And if you live were I live, your possible future kids get one of the best school districts in the country.

Oh, and you can go hunting with me, and we'll get you some REAL food! Get a spare freezer, and your meat only costs bullets.

And if you don't like wild stuff like that, you could always just become friends with a person that raises cattle.... Or just go to Walmart. LOL (Or the farmers market, which is expensive, but top notch in quality.)

As for your environmental job idea, that could work here too. Hey, you could work for Chesapeake! Or Devon! Both evil ginormous oil and gas companies, but they might hire you. And if you want to help change the world you've got to sway the current energy producers anyways. (Just a FYI, Devon just so happens to be building a new skyscraper downtown. Those rich bastards.)

Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 06:29

3 things I'm considering:

1 - Going to the IPS and take my degree on Computing Engineering .

2 - Going to the Military Academy and take a degree on Military Cavalry (You know, armoured mobile equipment, and so on).

3 - Going right to work, or even funding my own company...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5475
Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...
Registration date : 2008-05-15

http://joaopedroborrego.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-03-17, 14:26

I know here in Britain, the military is always on the lookout for tecchy people to work for them. You could look into working a behind-scenes civvy for the armed forces and marry two of those considerations together.

And DJ, I'm not going to move to the USA, sorry.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 14:32

Shemuel wrote:I know here in Britain, the military is always on the lookout for tecchy people to work for them. You could look into working a behind-scenes civvy for the armed forces and marry two of those considerations together.

But the point of going to the Cavalry Regiment isn't being behind a computer Very Happy Is driving some of the most dangerous ground weapons on existance! ^^

And would actually be a good idea to take a degree on computing engineering and then going to the military for one of those "behind-scenes" jobs...

Also, there's another thing that I always liked to do but it's very unlikely, since for that you must suck a lot of admirals dicks: warship captain...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Location : At atlantis searching for the ultimate weapon! Ok.. I'm in Azeitão, Portugal...

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-03-17, 14:38

The British Navy has more admirals than battleships, I believe. Hope there is a better situation with the Portugese navy.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 15:25

Shemuel wrote:The British Navy has more admirals than battleships, I believe. Hope there is a better situation with the Portugese navy.

Our armed forces as a total of 45k/50k soldiers, and we have one general/admiral for 260 soldiers, so I guess we're worse Neutral

http://downloadsexpresso.aeiou.pt/expressoonline/PDF/Telegrama_09LISBON136.pdf

Have fun reading this, btw... It's a leak from wikileak that ended up on a public newspaper that got banned inside the military ranks xD It explains the entire situation of our MoD and related...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic 2011-03-17, 15:30

Shemuel wrote:The British Navy has more admirals than battleships, I believe. Hope there is a better situation with the Portugese navy.

Well that would make sense, cause there's not a single Battleship in service any were in the world.
Vedic
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 15:31

Vedic wrote:

Well that would make sense, cause there's not a single Battleship in service any were in the world.

Battleship = Warship = Ships with the function to fight others...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic 2011-03-17, 15:35

Vedic
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 15:44

I was talking about what he meant by saying battleship... A battleship is any ship with ability to engage in battle...
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2011-03-17, 16:36

Yer, sounds like your military could do with some sorting out.

Vedic, calm down.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by JPB18 2011-03-17, 17:32

Shemuel wrote:Yer, sounds like your military could do with some sorting out.

Vedic, calm down.

Yeah... I leave a couple more, if u wanna have fun reading those, to see how bad we actually are xD

http://downloadsexpresso.aeiou.pt/expressoonline/PDF/Telegrama_06LISBON2265.pdf

http://downloadsexpresso.aeiou.pt/expressoonline/PDF/Telegrama_09LISBON137.pdf

http://downloadsexpresso.aeiou.pt/expressoonline/PDF/Telegrama_08LISBON2780.pdf

Have Fun xD
JPB18
JPB18
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Vedic 2011-03-17, 18:04

Shemuel wrote:Vedic, calm down.

I'm Angry?
Vedic
Vedic
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2011-03-17, 18:21

Vedic wrote:I'm Angry

Calm down, calm down! Don't get a big dick!
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2011-03-18, 05:00

They're all just jealous Vedic. Don't listen to them.

Shemuel wrote:I know here in Britain, the military is always on the lookout for tecchy people to work for them. You could look into working a behind-scenes civvy for the armed forces and marry two of those considerations together.

Aww, you suck! But I still want a lifesize Welsh guy to harass....

How is the UK? The people, the land, cost of living, cost of eating? (pounds and euros mean nothing to me BTW)
Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtull 2011-03-18, 05:15

I know it will sound weird but I am staying in Christchurch and plan on helping rebuild my city (already working with a building company) and I am either gonna get trade qualified and then go to Ministry Training College and become a youth pastor or just go to MTC and work for a church. I am thinking of getting that second trade under my belt so I can do more work.
Jtull
Jtull
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 5308
Location : How do you want me to put it? 6 figure grid reference? Codernates? 4 dimentional spacial codernates?
Registration date : 2007-12-04

http://twitter.com/#!/jbctull

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down