Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender

+9
Insane Crayon
Darkwing
me naam is m
Shemuel
Earthdeath
killerflood
Thingy
Philly Homer
Stryker
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A female is really angry at you and launches herself at you with the intent of sending you to the hospital. (Really mad) Would you find it acceptable to punch her? (Given you dont know any pressure points of Vulcan neck pinch techniques

Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_lcap76%Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 76% 
[ 13 ]
Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_lcap6%Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 17

Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 Empty Re: Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender

Post by Philly Homer 2009-05-13, 23:07

Obviously not. I wouldn't call myself a Christian if I did, because that would be blatantly hypocritical. I'm trying to avoid being a hypocrite as much as possible nowadays.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender - Page 2 Empty Re: Sexism, equal duties, self-defense indifferent to gender

Post by killerflood 2009-05-13, 23:10

Alkanosis wrote:...Polygamy is fun, yeah...

You make no sense, speak slower.
killerflood
killerflood
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1259
Registration date : 2007-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-14, 06:43

killerflood wrote:
Alkanosis wrote:...Polygamy is fun, yeah...

You make no sense, speak slower.
perhaps you should think faster. if you think, that is.
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2009-05-14, 12:46

Alkanosis wrote:No, I see it as subject to the bias of man and thus it should never be taken literally. I don't think we're ever going to see dragons with 7 heads and 10 horns upon each head, thanks. That being said, it's theologically sound and thus why I bother to stay Christian.
Sure, the bible if full of symbolism.

But many things in the bible should be taken literally.

The real key is figuring out what is symbolic, what is literal, and then figuring out the meaning of it.

Sometimes scriptures have both symbolic and literal meanings.

Only through divine guidance can humans interpret the bible, and make it applicable to modern life.

If that wasn't possible, then God wouldn't have made sure it was persevered the ancient book throughout the centuries.
Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-14, 12:51

Darkjedi wrote:
Alkanosis wrote:No, I see it as subject to the bias of man
then God wouldn't have made sure it was persevered the ancient book throughout the centuries.
you mean MAN has did that. and YES, it's susceptible to human influence. remember the dead sea scrolls? see all the dozens translations? see how they're all different?
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-14, 12:52

No holy book can be used in modern society, they were made for medieval society and a little after that. The only thing that can be used in modern society is human law. Just imagine the repression sharia law would make, and i'm sure using most of the bible in modern times would just mess things up.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkjedi 2009-05-14, 13:21

me naam is m wrote:
Darkjedi wrote:
Alkanosis wrote:No, I see it as subject to the bias of man
then God wouldn't have made sure it was persevered the ancient book throughout the centuries.
you mean MAN has did that. and YES, it's susceptible to human influence. remember the dead sea scrolls? see all the dozens translations? see how they're all different?
Oh, I never said it wasn't susceptible to human influence.

Also, the dead sea scrolls helped prove how accurate the translation we have today is. When they were found, bible scholars everywhere swarmed in to compare them with the modern bible that we have.

And they found that the stuff we have now is pretty darn accurate.

Oh, and with choice of translation...

I myself use about 6 translations on a regular basis.

As a bible student, I question everything, and then I prove to myself the accuracy, by studying the greek, hebrew, and Aramaic from the scripture.

I put it into context, see if it makes sense, I examine every detail within the word's definition/s. Etc.

I don't usually mess with the Aramaic as much, but I mostly study the ancient Greek and Hebrew.
Darkjedi
Darkjedi
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9277
Registration date : 2007-11-22

http://www.subzeroinferno.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stryker 2009-05-14, 18:01

Israel is getting closer to the ideal way of military conscription, but it is not totally equal yet. Wikipedia says this if any of you have faith in it and dont call it a bucket of lies "The majority of Israelis are drafted into the military at the age of eighteen. Men serve three years and women serve two years.[168] Following compulsory service, Israeli men join the reserve forces and do several weeks of reserve duty every year until their forties. Most women are exempt from reserve duty."

So close, but no cigar. Really i think that in the U.S. it promotes inequality for the exclusion of female draftees. I say we all should protest against the goverment and promote fairness for females by giving them the right to be drafted. I am positive they will be very thankful.
Stryker
Stryker
Cadet
Cadet

Male Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-05-14, 18:02

i second.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-14, 18:27

Stryker wrote:Israel is getting closer to the ideal way of military conscription, but it is not totally equal yet. Wikipedia says this if any of you have faith in it and dont call it a bucket of lies "The majority of Israelis are drafted into the military at the age of eighteen. Men serve three years and women serve two years.[168] Following compulsory service, Israeli men join the reserve forces and do several weeks of reserve duty every year until their forties. Most women are exempt from reserve duty."

So close, but no cigar. Really i think that in the U.S. it promotes inequality for the exclusion of female draftees. I say we all should protest against the goverment and promote fairness for females by giving them the right to be drafted. I am positive they will be very thankful.

No...they wont. They're lucky, and probably glad, to be spared from drafting. And it's not that bad, women ARE weaker than men, it's not equal, but nothing in this world is. That's why there's this thing called a food chain, and all animals dont eat plants.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-05-14, 18:42

Women can be capable, though. But if you're not good enough for the army, you won't hang around there, regardless of gender.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-14, 18:45

Yes, if you give them enough training. Which they'll probably get in the military. But still, they probably are happy they dont have to do military service. At least they are here, the army has so few women they've started AD campaigns aimed at women only.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-05-14, 18:57

Current society dictates to women that they shouldn't want to be in the army anyway.

And we really do need the only woman on the forum to give her view.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-14, 20:09

On the Subject of Women in the Army: I say go ahead. If you want to fight, that is your choice. I prefer to stay home and work at a job. I don't want to get shot at on a daily basis, and or get blown up by an IED.
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Female Number of posts : 4354
Location : PUT THIS IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT. I AM A FREAKING SUPER NOVA
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Galaxy-Scarface 2009-05-14, 21:02

i think they should remove drafting altogether, and just make it voluntary for both genders unless there is a HUGE war.
Galaxy-Scarface
Galaxy-Scarface
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Male Number of posts : 3090
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-14, 21:54

Galaxy-Scarface wrote:i think they should remove drafting altogether, and just make it voluntary for both genders unless there is a HUGE war.
in that case you'd be way to freaking late. that is the sole reason why it exists anyway.
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-05-15, 16:44

Ah, the good old UK. No conscription at all.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post by Darkwing 2009-05-15, 16:47

we have it off and on, usually through really big wars, ok, so we've done it like twice
Darkwing
Darkwing
Founder
Founder

Male Number of posts : 17810
Registration date : 2007-10-13

http://www.flashtrek-tuf.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-15, 16:58

We're stupid. We have conscription, but when we're done with them, we just throw them back into working life because the budget isnt good enough to hire more soldiers.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-05-16, 21:43

Conscription doesn't work anyway.They are always under trained and equiped, and only make good cannon fodder.Thats one reason why we dont conscript.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7919
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-17, 07:43

Thingy wrote:We're stupid. We have conscription, but when we're done with them, we just throw them back into working life because the budget isnt good enough to hire more soldiers.
Earthdeath wrote:Conscription doesn't work anyway.
well, it's arguable that conscription has a good influence on people, EG, correcting personalities
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlo 2009-05-19, 12:18

true.

back on topic, i would pick "unpredictable"

well thats cause it depends on how that girl's attitude is like, if its bad, maybe some hits but not much or just hold her till she gives up(like using handcuffs), if she's a good attitude, hmm maybe a few hits or just hold her till she gives up(also like using handcuffs)

and for the conscription, hmm i have not much to say.
Karlo
Karlo
Ensign
Ensign

Male Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2008-09-21

http://3700ad.motionsforum.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2