Flash Trek: The Unofficial Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Burj Tower

+3
Shemuel
Thingy
Insane Crayon
7 posters

Go down

The Burj Tower Empty The Burj Tower

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 14:23

http://www.burjdubai.com/
Shocked That building is going to be huge!!!!!

[Last link had old news >.<]
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Female Number of posts : 4354
Location : PUT THIS IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT. I AM A FREAKING SUPER NOVA
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Back to top Go down

The Burj Tower Empty Re: The Burj Tower

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 14:29

eh, completion in 2008? a little late there. But yeah... it's awesome.
Thingy
Thingy

Male Number of posts : 4452
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 14:30

If anyone can find up-to-date news on it, post it here.
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-05-05, 15:07

I know someone from Dubai. It's still going despite the world financial problems, but it isn't finished yet.
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-05-05, 15:47

I've been there.Hell, that's where my dad is.They are running low on money, and intend to blow all they have left on a huge tower they have absolutely no need for.Arab Economics FTW!
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7919
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 16:13

I agree with ED, but that's just good. Socially backwards nations dont deserve having a good economy, they can go ahead and blow away all their money on the tower, i'll just be glad when their economy blows up in their face. Still, that tower is AWESOME!
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 16:14

Does thingy have a negative outlook on EVERYTHING?! Do you see the glass as half-empty???
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 16:19

what? no, i just dont think a nation that forces people to follow their religion and puts anyone who doesnt in jail shouldnt have a huge economy. I'm actually mostly positive. And wasnt it you who said you didnt have any faith in humanity?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 16:21

Humanity if it continues is going to end up destroying itself before any predicited doomsday/apocalypse.. Think Fallout 2 without all the bugs and aliens.
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 16:26

Not really, humanity's been getting some progress for the last 2000 years. Only 600 years ago, very few nations had morals and wars were common. Now it's only a war every once in a while and a whole lot of help to the less fortunate nations. The future looks pretty good, but that's only if we dont nuke ourselves to oblivion
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-05-05, 16:27

Thingy wrote:what? no, i just dont think a nation that forces people to follow their religion and puts anyone who doesnt in jail
They didnt put me or my dad in jail.They don't care what religion you are, just as long as you believe in god.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 16:29

Thingy wrote:Not really, humanity's been getting some progress for the last 2000 years. Only 600 years ago, very few nations had morals and wars were common. Now it's only a war every once in a while and a whole lot of help to the less fortunate nations. The future looks pretty good, but that's only if we dont nuke ourselves to oblivion

Greenhouse Gases.. Heating of our atmosphere.. Melting of the Ice caps.. let's see, what else... oh yes and the eradication of our forests and farmlands.. from over-grazing and the logging companies that don't plant trees
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 16:36

And what about alternative fuel resarch, more use of green energy and less fossil fuels? Sweden, for an example, uses about 50% nuclear power and 50% green energy (wind, water and wave power)

@ ED still, they use islamic law. And saudi arabia both uses islamic law and has a religious police, anyone except tourists, visitors andd other foreigners has to cover up and belive in god
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Insane Crayon 2009-05-05, 16:39

Look at America. This country has a complete econonmy dependent on foreign oil and trying to change that to something like hydrogen powered cars or ethanol... would take some time. 50-60 years at most.. or more.. We have gas stations at almost EVERY corner of a street in cities and towns. We also are the biggest producer of the Carbon Monoxide (or is it dioxide.. can't remember) from the emissions from cars and trucks. China is probably next in line..
Insane Crayon
Insane Crayon
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 16:46

yes, but that's the US, look at europe. It's a big part of the world and it's building more and more green power plants, people are buying more and more eco friendly cars and there's a whole lot more than i have the finger strenght to type. I'll take sweden for an example again, all our taxis have changed from petrol to eco friendly fuels, all bus lines have changed to eco friendly fuels and there were big tax cuts for people who bought eco friendly cars last year. And the 3rd world countries are learning to take care of the enviroment too. And.... meh, i'm too lazy to type any more

Anywyays... this is kind of off topic.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-05-05, 17:38

Yeah, maybe we should make a topic about current world events or something.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 17:42

what, like a general news topic instead of posting news in individual topics?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-05, 18:06

Shemuel wrote:I know someone from Dubai. It's still going despite the world financial problems, but it isn't finished yet.
they say that all those new islands are already finished. my nephew says they aren't even half way there with getting above sea level.

Thingy wrote:Not really, humanity's been getting some progress for the last 2000 years. Only 600 years ago, very few nations had morals and wars were common. Now it's only a war every once in a while and a whole lot of help to the less fortunate nations. The future looks pretty good, but that's only if we dont nuke ourselves to oblivion
yes, back then wars were pretty common... once every few years ago. now there's continuously somewhere in the world a war, there hasn't been any world peace since fruit 1914!!!

Thingy wrote:@ ED still, they use islamic law. And saudi arabia both uses islamic law and has a religious police, anyone except tourists, visitors andd other foreigners has to cover up and belive in god
in fact it is a common event there that some tourists get jailed for not covering up, boozing, insulting the royal family or the government, or for women driving.

Thingy wrote:what, like a general news topic instead of posting news in individual topics?
i have to agree that that would be a good idea.

PS. OT
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-05, 18:09

alright, i'm starting it now.

Ok, last OT.

No, there hasnt been any world peace, but now they're not as big, just tiny rebel vs rebel or rebel vs government wars somewhere in africa or asia. and yes, i know, iraq and all the victims of the cold war, but it's nowhere near as bad as before and it's getting better.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemuel 2009-05-05, 18:15

me naam is m wrote:
Shemuel wrote:I know someone from Dubai. It's still going despite the world financial problems, but it isn't finished yet.
they say that all those new islands are already finished. my nephew says they aren't even half way there with getting above sea level.

Some are finished. some aren't. I'd hate to live there though. The best way I can explain what it looks like is 'plastic'

me naam is m wrote:
yes, back then wars were pretty common... once every few years ago. now there's continuously somewhere in the world a war, there hasn't been any world peace since fruit 1914!!!
There has only been one year since WW2 in which the British army hasn't officially been posted to a dangerzone.

me naam is m wrote:
Thingy wrote:@ ED still, they use islamic law. And saudi arabia both uses islamic law and has a religious police, anyone except tourists, visitors andd other foreigners has to cover up and belive in god
in fact it is a common event there that some tourists get jailed for not covering up, boozing, insulting the royal family or the government, or for women driving.
Yep. Friend of mine went to her boyfriend's family in Dubai. Couldn't drive, had to wear a shawl to hide that she was blonde...the list goes on.

Yep. arab countries can suck like Western ones. What does everyone think about Belarus?
Shemuel
Captain
Captain

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2007-12-23

Back to top Go down

Post by me naam is m 2009-05-05, 18:21

Thingy wrote:alright, i'm starting it now.

Ok, last OT.

No, there hasnt been any world peace, but now they're not as big, just tiny rebel vs rebel or rebel vs government wars somewhere in africa or asia. and yes, i know, iraq and all the victims of the cold war, but it's nowhere near as bad as before and it's getting better.

yes, tiny little guerrillas which cost some 10000 lives per week. just 4000 years ago a big intercontinental war didn't even cost that much lives in a whole friggin year.

as for the tower? i don't believe they'll ever finish it. it reminds me of the tower of babylon. there's in fact a dutch proverb about it, freely translated: 'high courage comes before the fall.'
me naam is m
me naam is m
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 9981
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Philly Homer 2009-05-05, 19:06

Terra Nova wrote:We also are the biggest producer of the Carbon Monoxide (or is it dioxide.. can't remember) from the emissions from cars and trucks. China is probably next in line..

China is the greatest producer of greenhouse gases. Then again, they have a fifth of the world population so that's a bit more excusable.
Philly Homer
Philly Homer
Commander
Commander

Male Number of posts : 7388
Registration date : 2007-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Deoran Drages 2009-05-06, 04:53

Thingy wrote:
@ ED still, they use islamic law. And saudi arabia both uses islamic law and has a religious police, anyone except tourists, visitors andd other foreigners has to cover up and belive in god

im sorry to go OT but as a muslim i believe i would be able to explain this the best, the fact that people have to cover up is to to prevent unlawful relationships and when you think about it it's quite sensible, look how many people have their partners cheating on them nowerdays? believing in one god is the most basic point of islam
Deoran Drages
Deoran Drages
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Male Number of posts : 1270
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-06, 06:08

yeah, my parents are muslims and i used to be one. Europe and the US are both mostly christian, but they base their laws on equality, freedom and justice. Forcing people to cover up and follow islamic law and tradition, whether they want it or not, and making a special police force to enforce it, just doesnt belong in the 21st century. Especially not in a developed nation with a huge economy.

Would you like it if you were forced to do something you dont want to do because some religion tells you to?
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Earthdeath 2009-05-06, 16:44

I wouldn't.That's what unauthorized wars are for.

Anyways, OT again.
Earthdeath
Earthdeath
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Deoran Drages 2009-05-08, 06:17

well at the very least it isn't hurting you
Deoran Drages
Deoran Drages
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-08, 06:24

sending you to prison because you dont believe in something they want you to believe in is hurting you.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deoran Drages 2009-05-08, 06:28

look if they didn't want to be muslims they shouldnt have come in the first place
true they shouldnt be thrown in jail for not worshiping god, the prophet did tell muslims that if the person was non-muslim invite to islam but do not forceful
he middle east is not without it's faults.
Nowhere in the world is, other places have different faults that all...
Deoran Drages
Deoran Drages
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-08, 06:30

welll they obviously didnt have any choice, they were born there you know. And yes, worse stuff happens, but i'm against those nations because even though they have a whole lot of money and technology, they still act like some backwards 3rd world country. Oh well, they'll get what's coming to them when only the US wants their oil. Electricity is becoming more popular as a fuel and so are bio fuels.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Deoran Drages 2009-05-08, 09:09

look thingy, you of all people would understand, Islam puts life as the ultimate test, if you pass then you get whatever you want in heaven if not then you go to hell, and even then you still have a chance of going to heaven
Deoran Drages
Deoran Drages
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post by Thingy 2009-05-08, 10:20

What does that have to do with religious freedom in the middle east? And yes, i used to believe in that stuff.
Thingy
Thingy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum